KYB or Bilstein?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kuhdwi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe LS 4x4. 196,000 miles, original shocks. 90% on road, highway use, some off road gravel or dirt.
This is also my trailer tow vehicle.
Are KYB Mono max series shocks or Bilstein 4600 series shocks the better choice?
Standard suspension, no air or auto leveling system on unit.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Be careful with the shocks; if you have ZW7/G65 Premium Smooth Ride RPO codes the shocks and rear springs are different from the other suspensions.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Concur with Fless. Make sure you upgrade your springs if you have the listed RPO code. I use Bilstein shocks and the upgraded rear springs. Quite happy with that setup.

OP
OP
K

kuhdwi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Be careful with the shocks; if you have ZW7/G65 Premium Smooth Ride RPO codes the shocks and rear springs are different from the other suspensions.
Yes I have the ZW7 suspension code. I plan to buy from rockauto, and they specified not for lifted use or premium ride system. KYB official site also gave me the same part numbers as rockauto. Do you know what to look for in upgrading the rear springs? Main reason I am replacing shocks is rolling like a boat under certain conditions. I have 197000 mile on the rig, hoping for 250000 before retiring.

OP
OP
K

kuhdwi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Concur with Fless. Make sure you upgrade your springs if you have the listed RPO code. I use Bilstein shocks and the upgraded rear springs. Quite happy with that setup.
As I answered Fless, I have the ZW7/G65 listed RPO code. Do you have a suggesstion on upgrading the rear springs? This is my travel trailer toter, and I do use a weight distributing hitch with it. I plan to use KYB Mono Max shocks from rockauto, they specified the same part numbers as the KYB official site.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You do have auto leveling if the OE rear shocks have never been changed.

To explain a little more, the G65 RPO code designates Nivomat technology shocks on the rear, and those are manual self-leveling. They are beefy shocks that adjust to the load as you drive. They are paired with softer springs, hence the Premium Smooth Ride (PSR) designation. If you replace them with standard shocks you'll need to replace the springs with either Z71 (non PSR) springs or what Bilstein indicates (199021), and those stiffer springs would work with standard shocks. But you lose the self-adjusting feature of the Nivomats. (I'm not sure if there is a third style of spring for this model year.) Not changing the springs when converting to standard shocks will cause dangerous sway under normal driving conditions.

1666923474990.png

Is there something wrong with your Nivomats? I use my '04 to tow a rental camper every year, at times without a WDH, depending of course on the tongue weight of the trailer. They level up within a couple of blocks of towing. You can test them by measuring a point on the rear bumper with no load, then tossing it 200-400 lbs of stuff in the back and measuring again, then take it for a short drive of a few blocks. Return to the same spot and measure again to see if they've brought up the back end of the truck to a decent level.

Having said that, I have replaced the front shocks with KYB Gas-A-Just KG5040s and am happy with them for retaining the PSR. Stay away from the KYB Excel-G bottom of the line shocks.

Pic of Nivomat shock:

Nivomat shock1.JPG

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my Nivomat shocks so many years ago I can’t remember. My issue was due to the driver side shock leaking. When I was told the cost of replacements I literally chocked. It was this forum that I learned about the need to change the springs if I did not go with the Nivomat. I went the Bilstein route usising the springs recommended by Bilstein (199021) and this forum. Like I said couldn’t be happier and we tow a camper all he time.

BoatyMcBoatface

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I removed the magnaride shocks and monomax all around. Rides great. Just make sure you order the correct front shock top bushings because the ones that come with the shock are crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh