KL5 700 Watt Fan Conversion - 1 or both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Letcher77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those who have upgraded to the 700w radiator fans, where are you buying them? Are you buying both or just the driver side? I have heard that if you run both, the electrical system has a hard time keeping up unless you upgrade that. Does it matter how many blades the fan is? I have a 2013 yukon xl denali and tow up north occasionally and see temps start to creep up on some hills. Not trying to drop too much money into it as I know some have done aftermarket radiators, fans and multiple set ups with trans coolers. Seems like anything over 3k RPM on the hills is when it starts to heat up. Was also thinking of installing 160 degree thermostat. I know they don't do much from a performance stand point but having it open at 160 vs 190 may delay the temps from creeping up a bit, or am I delusional in my thinking?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who have upgraded to the 700w radiator fans, where are you buying them? Are you buying both or just the driver side? I have heard that if you run both, the electrical system has a hard time keeping up unless you upgrade that. Does it matter how many blades the fan is? I have a 2013 yukon xl denali and tow up north occasionally and see temps start to creep up on some hills. Not trying to drop too much money into it as I know some have done aftermarket radiators, fans and multiple set ups with trans coolers. Seems like anything over 3k RPM on the hills is when it starts to heat up. Was also thinking of installing 160 degree thermostat. I know they don't do much from a performance stand point but having it open at 160 vs 190 may delay the temps from creeping up a bit, or am I delusional in my thinking?
I bought my K5L 700w fan motor and blade for my 2012 Yukon XL Denali from Amazon. I only replaced the driver's side, and that did the trick for towing for me. I was seeing slightly elevated coolant temps even with having a cold case 2-row radiator last summer, but once I installed this motor and blade, no more issues.

OP
OP
L

Letcher77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my K5L 700w fan motor and blade for my 2012 Yukon XL Denali from Amazon. I only replaced the driver's side, and that did the trick for towing for me. I was seeing slightly elevated coolant temps even with having a cold case 2-row radiator last summer, but once I installed this motor and blade, no more issues.

Did those fit in your factory shroud?

Reaction score

Is that fan a 5 blade, with the connecting ring or without?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that fan a 5 blade, with the connecting ring or without?
5 blades, no connecting ring. The fans in my 2007 have the connecting ring so somewhere between 2007 and 2012, they changed the design. Here's a pic of the K5L fan I installed.

1651197720109.png

OP
OP
L

Letcher77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I just bought a motor and fan as well. Found it a little cheaper on ebay buying from World Parts Direct. Any visual difference between the 700w vs the 500w motor?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been a work in progress and am trying to complete the associations, which motors go to which blades, etc. Doing this for both the wagons and the pickups.

1651256747254.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep