KL5 700 Watt Fan Conversion - 1 or both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Letcher77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have seen alot of fans on ebay showing K5L codes and most all of them have the 5 blade rimless. Not saying those aren't incorrect but just saying.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen alot of fans on ebay showing K5L codes and most all of them have the 5 blade rimless. Not saying those aren't incorrect but just saying.

This reminds me that last time I looked, every axle for sale was an AXN on ebay. Couldn't convince the sellers otherwise either!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there has been no 700w 5 blade RIMLESS design?

Just went out and counted 5 rimless blades on both sides for the 2012 NHT Sierra. My 2009 Yukon XL runs 9 and 7 rimmed blades with 700 watt motors. Do not know for certain what motors the Sierra has. Too muddy to see part numbers.

Reaction score
Just went out and counted 5 rimless blades on both sides for the 2012 NHT Sierra. My 2009 Yukon XL runs 9 and 7 rimmed blades with 700 watt motors. Do not know for certain what motors the Sierra has. Too muddy to see part numbers.
What's NHT stand for?

Both my fans are rimless 5 blades, but I apparently have the 500w motors (non-K5L rpo). I'm interested in changing one to a 700w motor like @Geotrash did and wondering if my existing 5 blade fan can be used on the 700w motor?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's NHT stand for?

Both my fans are rimless 5 blades, but I apparently have the 500w motors (non-K5L rpo). I'm interested in changing one to a 700w motor like @Geotrash did and wondering if my existing 5 blade fan can be used on the 700w motor?
My understanding is no because the fan for the 500w motor is a different part number. It’s also why I replaced the fan when I bought the 700w motor.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's NHT stand for?

NHT = Max Trailering Package. It was used on the GMT900 pickup trucks and on both the wagons and pickups on the K2s. I know it's also used on the T1 pickups but not sure about the wagons.

Here is the description for 2009:

...available on 1500 Extended Cab standard box and
Crew Cab short box SLE and SLT models, includes: increased Gross Vehicle
Weight Ratings (GVWRs),6.0L V8 engine, Heavy-Duty Trailering Cooling Package,
high-capacity air cleaner, heavy-duty 9.5” rear axle, 4-wheel disc brakes with
4-wheel ABS, 6-speed (model 6L80) automatic transmission with auxiliary
oil cooler, Z85 increased capacity handling/trailering suspension, locking rear
differential, 17” aluminum wheels, P265/70R17 On/Off-Road tires, slotted front
bumper for additional cooling and Trailering Special Equipment Package. Available
on 1500 2WD and 4x4 Extended Cab standard box and Crew Cab models

Here is the description for 2012:

...Includes Vortec 6.2L V-8, heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, Heavy-Duty Handling/
Trailering Suspension Package, 9.5" hybrid rear axle, 3.73 rear
axle ratio, front and rear disc brakes, Heavy-Duty Trailering
Package, fog lamps and 17" polished aluminum wheels.
Available on Extended and Crew Cab models only.

Don't know if the motors and fans are swappable. I reckon that GM made these different configurations for each other so as not to burn up the motors or draw too many amps.
My Yukon and Sierra run different part numbers for their radiators but from the descriptions at ACDelco they appear to use the same core. Both have engine oil coolers plumbed into the driver's side tank.

There are left and right motors and most of the fans are left or right as well.

Would like to pair the fans up with the blades and shrouds and then see if there are different relays and such.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13 LTZ has K5L and they are a beast, pulls insane air but also loud as heck on high. Ill have to check tomorrow if they are rimmed or not.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NHT = Max Trailering Package. It was used on the GMT900 pickup trucks and on both the wagons and pickups on the K2s. I know it's also used on the T1 pickups but not sure about the wagons.

Here is the description for 2009:

...available on 1500 Extended Cab standard box and
Crew Cab short box SLE and SLT models, includes: increased Gross Vehicle
Weight Ratings (GVWRs),6.0L V8 engine, Heavy-Duty Trailering Cooling Package,
high-capacity air cleaner, heavy-duty 9.5” rear axle, 4-wheel disc brakes with
4-wheel ABS, 6-speed (model 6L80) automatic transmission with auxiliary
oil cooler, Z85 increased capacity handling/trailering suspension, locking rear
differential, 17” aluminum wheels, P265/70R17 On/Off-Road tires, slotted front
bumper for additional cooling and Trailering Special Equipment Package. Available
on 1500 2WD and 4x4 Extended Cab standard box and Crew Cab models

Here is the description for 2012:

...Includes Vortec 6.2L V-8, heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, Heavy-Duty Handling/
Trailering Suspension Package, 9.5" hybrid rear axle, 3.73 rear
axle ratio, front and rear disc brakes, Heavy-Duty Trailering
Package, fog lamps and 17" polished aluminum wheels.
Available on Extended and Crew Cab models only.

Don't know if the motors and fans are swappable. I reckon that GM made these different configurations for each other so as not to burn up the motors or draw too many amps.
My Yukon and Sierra run different part numbers for their radiators but from the descriptions at ACDelco they appear to use the same core. Both have engine oil coolers plumbed into the driver's side tank.

There are left and right motors and most of the fans are left or right as well.

Would like to pair the fans up with the blades and shrouds and then see if there are different relays and such.
I had the dealer parts guy check when I did my conversion to 700w fans and he said the relays are the same, connectors the same, this was based on vin number's with a known k5l vin versus my non k5l vin, in addition I have been running the 700w fans for around 4-5 years and have had no issue's. I recently discovered the right side fan motor started to melt the connector a little bit so I replaced both the motor and connector, not unusual for a high amperage part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts