Keyless entry 1994 GMC Yukon 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtPreston

Reaction score
I need to get a keyless entry system for my ride - I've checked the RPO and do not have the AUO code so it did not come with remote door locks (according to info found on this forum). I do have the inside door switches that operate both doors so it would seem straight forward enough to find a power source that could be added to the loop (with fobs) but I'm not sure what to look for or where. Alarm system installers are very pricey and not very informative on what I actually need. Do I have to install new actuators in the doors to make this addition work?

Anyone have some recent experience with a similar installation, or have a recommendation for a reliable keyless system I can look into? Any and all help is appreciated.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have power locks you wont need anything besides the right kit. alot of the alarm/remote start kits i was looking at last year are setup with inputs to be triggered from a factory key fob. so specifically what your after is a keyless entry kit. a basic kit that just has thier receiver and a fob or 2. now as far as the installation goes they seem harder to put in than they actually are. after what i went through id even be willing to say they do it on purpose to try and force you to use an installer.
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Products/453055507-model-ke1702-vehicle-keyless-entry-system.aspx
this is a basic keyless entry kit and i ended up using thier instructions for a totally different manufacturers kit. this is however a more universal kit so you will have to use a multimeter to figure out some wiring yourself if you want to tackle it. for just basic door unlock you will just tie thier output wire to the correct wire from the doors unlock button.

lastly think ahead do you or will you ever want an alarm system aswell or remote start? a keyless entry kit may cause problems with different kits. if its possible i suggest a kit that has the option to be expanded so you can just add to it when your ready. instead of undoing what you already did for a different kit or trying to piggyback kits together.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This^^^^

orrrrr figure out what components your truck is missing from factory.... takes some research..... and hit a junkyard. You will probably not get the key fob in the junkyard but the receiver should be there and any other components. Can almost guarantee that your truck has the wires in place yet no receiver present. It’s old enough that I doubt you need dealer programming and then just hit up a locksmith, ebay or Amazon fir new fobs.

no you don’t need new actuators since it already has power locks...

I may be completely wrong but it seems the cheapest option and I would pursue that avenue because I like oem over aftermarket on my vehicles. Not that it’s better, just designed to work in that particular vehicle.

edit: a quick search and I saw that just because your truck doesn’t have that auo code (or whatever it is) doesn’t mean you don’t have the rcdlr option. You need all your rpo codes and need to do some interwebz diggin

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SgtPreston

Reaction score
if you have power locks you wont need anything besides the right kit. alot of the alarm/remote start kits i was looking at last year are setup with inputs to be triggered from a factory key fob. so specifically what your after is a keyless entry kit. a basic kit that just has thier receiver and a fob or 2. now as far as the installation goes they seem harder to put in than they actually are. after what i went through id even be willing to say they do it on purpose to try and force you to use an installer.
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Products/453055507-model-ke1702-vehicle-keyless-entry-system.aspx
this is a basic keyless entry kit and i ended up using thier instructions for a totally different manufacturers kit. this is however a more universal kit so you will have to use a multimeter to figure out some wiring yourself if you want to tackle it. for just basic door unlock you will just tie thier output wire to the correct wire from the doors unlock button.

lastly think ahead do you or will you ever want an alarm system aswell or remote start? a keyless entry kit may cause problems with different kits. if its possible i suggest a kit that has the option to be expanded so you can just add to it when your ready. instead of undoing what you already did for a different kit or trying to piggyback kits together.

James, many thanks for the reply - I think you have the solution to my problem. I'll do some research and make sure I can handle it. Appreciate the help.

OP
OP
S

SgtPreston

Reaction score
This^^^^

orrrrr figure out what components your truck is missing from factory.... takes some research..... and hit a junkyard. You will probably not get the key fob in the junkyard but the receiver should be there and any other components. Can almost guarantee that your truck has the wires in place yet no receiver present. It’s old enough that I doubt you need dealer programming and then just hit up a locksmith, ebay or Amazon fir new fobs.

no you don’t need new actuators since it already has power locks...

I may be completely wrong but it seems the cheapest option and I would pursue that avenue because I like oem over aftermarket on my vehicles. Not that it’s better, just designed to work in that particular vehicle.

edit: a quick search and I saw that just because your truck doesn’t have that auo code (or whatever it is) doesn’t mean you don’t have the rcdlr option. You need all your rpo codes and need to do some interwebz diggin

Thanks Pete, I agree that OEM is the best route to take when and if possible. Unfortunately most of the yards in our area are "Pick-a-part" and I have a little mobility problem so it's difficult to dig around for some things. I'm sure you're right that the wires are in place (but no recvr) and if I can find them I may still try to find the OEM parts. Appreciate the help.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re a year too early for the keyless entry - it wasn’t an option until the Tahoe rebrand in 95 (RPO code AU0 on glovebox label).

Even then, the factory ones have a lousy range so you aren’t missing much. If you end up doing one, let us know how well it works.

OP
OP
S

SgtPreston

Reaction score
You’re a year too early for the keyless entry - it wasn’t an option until the Tahoe rebrand in 95 (RPO code AU0 on glovebox label).

Even then, the factory ones have a lousy range so you aren’t missing much. If you end up doing one, let us know how well it works.

Thanks East, I'll certainly post my results, good or bad.

OP
OP
S

SgtPreston

Reaction score
Okay, we have success! Friend is an electrical engineer and was able to pull wires from driver side kick panel to access wires for door locks, then it was a matter of identifying which wires controlled what function. Using a test light, first to ground and then to 12V, and going into each of the seven wires, we were able to make up two tables of the two switches operations (Drvr lock/unlock & Pass. lock/unlock). Once we had them identified, he wired in two relays connecting the switches to the actuators and we had remote door locks!!

I purchased the Autoloc Keyless Entry system from Summit Racing and it comes with a wiring diagram, receiver, two (2) remotes and some extra wire. You need to determine whether you have a negative, positive or reverse polarity system before you can decide which wiring diagram applies (I had rev. pol.).
The beauty of this installation was that we didn't have to go into the door panels - life is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep