Key in door not disabling alarm system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put my key in the door of my yukon it wont disable the alarm system after unlocking the door is the something I'm missing is it supposed to fo this

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Is the key you're using chipped? Does it have a circled + near the base like in the pic? 6d3731bf4e011b312d8f1de8776387cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jatPPV2012

Reaction score
Is the key you're using chipped? Does it have a circled + near the base like in the pic? 6d3731bf4e011b312d8f1de8776387cb.jpg

Thinking the same. OP may have gotten a spare key made at a Home Depot, but they need to be copied with a special chip key.

Reaction score
Actually, I just tried mine and it started honking the horn after opening the door until I inserted the key into the ignition or hit the unlock button on the key fob. Now when opening the locked door with the key it doesn't honk the horn. Maybe it just needs to be "recognized" once, like when programming a new chipped key.

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Is there even a transponder component in the door lock? I’ve had a bunch of vehicles that worked that way and I always assumed it was designed that way.

My general understanding is that if it’s locked with a fob it needs to be unlocked the same way or horn blowing will ensue.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put my key in the door of my yukon it wont disable the alarm system after unlocking the door is the something I'm missing is it supposed to fo this

It's supposed to do that. Download a copy of your owner's manual from GMCs website.

OP
OP
A

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there even a transponder component in the door lock? I’ve had a bunch of vehicles that worked that way and I always assumed it was designed that way.

My general understanding is that if it’s locked with a fob it needs to be unlocked the same way or horn blowing will ensue.
My explorer and my dad's crown vic you could unlock them no problem with the remote locking them same with are 06 Denali

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Fixes a security hole in the earlier versions.
In my S10, jam a screw driver in the door and you can unlock the truck and disarm the alarm since the computer thinks the key did it.
Ask me how i know...
:shocked::shooter:

I was actually delighted to find this in the owners manual.
side affect of it, you must lock using the remote in order to arm the alarm, of course this makes sense.
No fob and you would be setting off the alarm every time you unlock the truck.