Kenwood dnx9980hd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbarcus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's last year's model. The new version is the DNX9990HD. It has a new processor which makes the user interface MUCH faster. I just installed it in my 2011 Yukon Denali a couple of weeks ago.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I say get it.
Their UI is getting better, but still far from touching Pioneer.
On the contrary, the Kenwood navigation system dumps all over the Pioneer.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, did you ever upgrade your hu? what did you not like about the ddx719? I'm considering buying the 719 soon and would just like some feedback. thx.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Yeah i did, just havent put it in yet. I just didnt like that i needed an iphone for nav. I dont like iphones so figured i would get one w/ built-in nav. Other than that everything was great. A little slow though fyi.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? That's interesting. I read that the 2012 models have faster processors b/c the biggest complaint was the HU was slow in prior models. What did you upgrade to? I think I might just get the pioneer 8400. I have an EVO now but I'm going back to an iPhone when the new one comes out. Nav is one feature I want. I guess if the nav option for the 8400 sucks, I'll just buy a nav to put on my dash. Or go the old fashion route and use maps LOL.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I decided w/ the dnx9980hd. It has built-in garmin. I would rather have a good nav than more options. Hit up nathanjax, i know he and a few others have the pioneer 8400. I think modded does too. All great things from what ive heard.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I've talked to Nathan and I've read his posts. I like the idea of having the removable face so I think the 8400 is the way to go. I also don't want to spend a grand on an aftermarket HU with nav. I know a guy selling a Kenwood 6980 for $450 but I hear its pretty slow and I don't think I could live with a slow HU when I know theres faster ones out there LOL. I'll just end up selling it and buying a newer one. I'm pretty set on the 8400 at this point. I've spent countless hours reading reviews and going over all their features. The one thing that attracted me to the ddx719 was the app for the garmin nav but I'd rather have a better HU that's faster rather than getting one that may not be as good for the sole reason of just having garmin. I'll just buy a garmin nav worse comes to worse. Or I'll use my phone. I wonder if I could hook up a garmin to the usb of the HU and have it show up on the screen? That would be cool. Anyways I appreciate the feedback. It's best to get input from someone that has direct experience with the unit that will give you their unbiased opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HSK76