Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect explanation!

Not trying to knock or nit pick, just thinking about down the road when someone reads this, did we ever end up determining whether all of these style Yuks/Hoes can use two 700W? I remember we discussed the blade count, 7/9 combo the rimmed vs. not rimmed and the shroud, but I wasn’t sure if there was an issue with some of the years having spacial issues or needing programmed (Tech2) in order to run properly.
That's a great point. Given that the K5L cooling package with the 700W motors still runs on the standard alternator and electrical system, I'm inclined to think that Mr. Thompson's experience with his Bose amp cutting out could have been an anomaly caused in part by grounding issues. I wouldn't hesitate to run two 700's, and I believe @mikeyss is doing that.

And good call on the summary. Once we get down to a final 2-3 configs that seem like great options, I'll make a new summary post in the Tech Info section.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my '10 has had the fans and passenger side harness repaired

Information I have confirmed on my PPV
- Passenger side harness connector replaced
- Fan shroud assembly, Part # 84302502
- Both fan blade assemblies are 5 blade (rimless)

I just need figure out:
1) Do I just keep the current fan blade assemblies and go with the 700w motors - GM Part 20903474?
2) Add RPO coded "KW5" 220amp alternator - GM part 22949466
3) Explore fan speed settings in HP Tuners and possible alter
I believe that you need to purchase the fan blades that are designed for the 700w motors. On my 2012 at least (5/5 blade fans), there is a different part number for the fan blades intended for 500w vs 700w motors.

Last edited:

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that you need to purchase the fan blades that are designed for the 700w motors. On my 2012 at least (7/9 blade fans), there is a different part number for the fan blades intended for 500w vs 700w motors.
Dave, if you could scrape up those part numbers that would be awesome.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave, if you could scrape up those part numbers that would be awesome.
Sure. I only bought the parts for the driver's side fan for mine:

Here's the fan blade:

And here's the 700w fan motor:

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here's the fan blade:

Awesome, so in theory......I could just buy them for both sides and be golden?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome, so in theory......I could just buy them for both sides and be golden?
The passenger side fan is a different diameter and blade count. And I think the motor is a different part number also.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here's the fan blade:

So I can just put in this particular fan blade and motor on the LEFT side of my existing
fan assembly ????????
I purchased a new 7/9 blade assembly last year since what was in there didn't "look" like
oem original. And was under the impression then, that the 7/9 was the shizzle...
But I'd certainly like to keep getting better. So I'd do this if you think it will fit in
my existing fan assembly (or even my old one).

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I can just put in this particular fan blade and motor on the LEFT side of my existing
fan assembly ????????
I purchased a new 7/9 blade assembly last year since what was in there didn't "look" like
oem original. And was under the impression then, that the 7/9 was the shizzle...
But I'd certainly like to keep getting better. So I'd do this if you think it will fit in
my existing fan assembly (or even my old one).
Yep, that’s my understanding. I haven’t done mine yet, but I have the parts on my workbench.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 7/9 blade rimmed are different circumference on each side and the motors are slightly different design, I just received the "supposedly" 2nd design dual 700w 5 blade fan assembly today and took it apart both sides appear to be identical, I am on the fence if these are actually 700w motors or not the 1st design motors are much beefier. none of the numbers on the motors match anything online, they are bosch but that's about all I can confirm.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 7/9 blade rimmed are different circumference on each side and the motors are slightly different design, I just received the "supposedly" 2nd design dual 700w 5 blade fan assembly today and took it apart both sides appear to be identical, I am on the fence if these are actually 700w motors or not the 1st design motors are much beefier. none of the numbers on the motors match anything online, they are bosch but that's about all I can confirm.
Does the shroud have any numbers on it? If I remember correctly, the 5 blade rimless style has either dual 500w or dual 700 watt motors, and the shrouds have different part numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts