Keep VVT or delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's time to make a decision on camshafts. VVT or not is the question.
BTR has several cams I would be happy with as does Summit in their Pro Ls line. For those that have deleted the vvt, did you have it tuned before you started it? Did you notice any difference without the VVT?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deleted the tune only on mine. I have heard of only a few further problems with the DOD after that. And those were because of lifter trays, which could happen anyways.

If your system is functioning, and you are just trying to be preventive, thats the route I would go. MUCH cheaper, and easier to do.

Edit: I just reread your post, your asking about VVT.. which is completely different than DOD. So my apologies.

OP
OP
livingez_123

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No DOD on this one, just VVT. Since I'm in it this far I'm probably going to go with a BTR stage 2 VVT cam and a phaser limiter. I'm just not convinced that deleting the VVT is a positive thing to do. It has many benefits and with the right tune it works great. It's not a race truck just a daily driver that tows a boat and I doubt it will see more then 6000 RPM. If I want to go fast I have other vehicles for that.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's time to make a decision on camshafts. VVT or not is the question.
BTR has several cams I would be happy with as does Summit in their Pro Ls line. For those that have deleted the vvt, did you have it tuned before you started it? Did you notice any difference without the VVT?
There are 2 schools of thought on this and both are equally valid. @iamdub will rightly tell you that keeping VVT is worth it because it preserves more on the low end. It’s like a free lunch.

I will tell you that I deleted VVT in my 2012 with the 6.2 and selected a 3-bolt stage 2 truck cam from cam motion designed specifically for the 6.2. I tow a 7000 lb camper with it and picked up considerable performance in the mid range which is what I needed for pulling up the hills. I went from having to wind it out at 40-45 in 2nd gear to holding 55-60 in 3rd up the same grades, no problem. It’s also subjectively more responsive and powerful on the low end than my ‘07 which also has the 6.2 but still has the stock cam, so I get to drive them back to back often. I wanted simplicity and durability and didn’t want to mess with cam phasing and all of that.

I’m happy with my choice, though I often do wonder what I'm missing that I'd now have if I'd kept the VVT. The guys who kept it say they're glad they did, and I can't argue with that. And those who did the work themselves say that working with the VVT is nothing to be intimidated by. So there's that.

I used black bear for the tune and they sent me a canned tune ahead of time that I could use to get up and running with the new cam, and then I did the data logging with their Autocal and they sent me back some tweaks to get it dialed in right.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept my VVT in my slightly bored out 6.2 and I am glad I did keep it. The power delivery off idle, and the extra power in the upper RPM range makes it worth it. Granted, I don't get the full range of VVT adjustment due to my bigger cam, but I'd never want to be without VVT. I just traded my LQ9, and that didn't have VVT and driving the 2 vehicles back to back...the lack of VVT is pretty noticable to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts