Just hit 46,500 miles, what service would you get done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to go in for a recall fix anyways, so going to get the oil changed and air filter/cabin filter(I am 6'8' with catcher's mitts for hands, and limited mechanical ability, so I don't work on it at all)

5.3L , 4x4, LT, I don't tow, and it's primarily a daily driver in the city, with a once a month a or so road trip in Florida

Should I do :

Trans flush ?
Differential/transfer case?
Spark plugs?

Any input is appreciated, I bought it as a 30k mile rental from Hertz 2 years ago , and only issue so far was the AC, which got fixed under warranty

Thinking I should get the trans fluid changed NOW, so I have 13k mile left on the powertrain, if something is going to let go due to the trans flush, want to have it happen under warranty.

ANY and ALL replies are appreciated!!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to go in for a recall fix anyways, so going to get the oil changed and air filter/cabin filter(I am 6'8' with catcher's mitts for hands, and limited mechanical ability, so I don't work on it at all)

5.3L , 4x4, LT, I don't tow, and it's primarily a daily driver in the city, with a once a month a or so road trip in Florida

Should I do :

Trans flush ?
Differential/transfer case?
Spark plugs?

Any input is appreciated, I bought it as a 30k mile rental from Hertz 2 years ago , and only issue so far was the AC, which got fixed under warranty

Thinking I should get the trans fluid changed NOW, so I have 13k mile left on the powertrain, if something is going to let go due to the trans flush, want to have it happen under warranty.

ANY and ALL replies are appreciated!!!

Yep, change all fluids and I forget what year yours is, if 5 or more have them change the coolant too. It's good for 5 years or 150K miles, whichever comes first.

Plugs and wires are good for another 50K or so. Change them sooner if you notice the mileage fall off or around 100K.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like James said and look in your owner’s manual for services at this mileage.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I just change the trans fluid, or "flush"

Want to make sure I don't get a wallet flushing lol

Probably going to get new Michelins all around, is Tire Rack the best way to go?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Probably going to get new Michelins all around, is Tire Rack the best way to go?

Dealership does a fluid exchange with TransFlow machine, about $170. You can do it yourself with fluid, some 3/8" OD clear nylon tubing and a bucket along with a pick and a Hayden 397 or just shove the plastic line into radiator and do it yourself.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At 45K miles I put new Michelin Defenders on [the Continental tires were beyond horrible] also did the Trans Flush,Air Filter and Cabin Filter. That was it besides the oil change.

Normally I get all my tires at Costco but Paramus Chevrolet [which did all of the work] beat their price at the time.

If they tell you that you need a Induction Service at 46K miles they are trying to wallet flush you. I just turned 86K miles and so far no induction service needed.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking care of that trans like you do your engine will pay off. Not sure what mileage your front and rear diff need a fresh drink and one of these fellas may know if you have any grease fittings.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership does a fluid exchange with TransFlow machine, about $170. You can do it yourself with fluid, some 3/8" OD clear nylon tubing and a bucket along with a pick and a Hayden 397 or just shove the plastic line into radiator and do it yourself.

Swathdiver- you’ve personally changed your 8L90 fluid with this method?