Just got my amp/sub/custom box in! Opinion needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd step that amp off the floor with a carpeted piece of 3/4" MDF. Then I'd scribe that amp contour into that plastic seat hinge cover. I'd use my dremel and have that amp partially molded into that plastic cover with the wiring concealed.

my 2 cents,

Chris

it cannot go any higher because it is already a tight squeeze. the height is a perfect fit. it was the other dimensions that prevented me from plugging in the power, ground, rca, etc. So cutting down to the REAL floor of it would make the amp sit flush and allow me enough room to plug the cables in... just like steve said.. which worked perfectly. props steve good thinkin'.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

Here's some pics. Let me know what you guys think... Remember.. I wanted stealth, small, deep, clean sound. My next move is a JL 300/4 amp sitting flush on the other side and then 2 pairs of focal 6.5s. One set of components with crossovers in the front and the a pair of 3 way coaxes in the back in addition to the crisp bose tweeters in the pillars in the front. I def want to get speakers first though because although bose sounds good, the speakers are still made out of paper.. which sucks. and the focals can be powered by my bose amp that's still powering my 6" bose sub up in the 1st row...

OK, so here are pics at every angle of what the amp looks like when the seats are both down and folded up. They vary from the original post since the amp now sits flush and unfortunately I had to cut a large square chunk of plastic/carpet out of the car.. no worries though.. when I sell this car it's going with it...

amp1.gif
amp2.gif
amp3.gif
amp4.gif
amp5.gif
amp6.gif
amp7.gif
amp8.gif
amp9.gif

Last edited:

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sick clean lil recess work there bud.. digging it! LOVE the fact youre doing a Focal build too.. hard to argue with Focal.

The one thing i will say.. Bose paper Sucks.. but paper doesnt suck in general.. paper is the best for producing a more analog type tone range.. in our
SemaStock Focal Jaguar build we added 2 Focal Paper cone 7inch loud speakers in the rear deck And the paper cones brought a warmth to the tone range that you dont get out of high rms kevlars and plastics.. just Fyi.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sick clean lil recess work there bud.. digging it! LOVE the fact youre doing a Focal build too.. hard to argue with Focal.

The one thing i will say.. Bose paper Sucks.. but paper doesnt suck in general.. paper is the best for producing a more analog type tone range.. in our
SemaStock Focal Jaguar build we added 2 Focal Paper cone 7inch loud speakers in the rear deck And the paper cones brought a warmth to the tone range that you dont get out of high rms kevlars and plastics.. just Fyi.

Thanks man I appreciate that... yea focal is the SHIT! Used to have 3 Kicker 12 Solobaric L7s but it was just too much.. I guess as you get older you look for different things. Quality and look over quantity is what i'm into right now and retaining a "stock" look is SICK in my book. I like focal because of the build quality and crisp sound that they bring. I've had alpine, infinity kappa perfect 6.1 components, and polk audio speakers in my last vehicle (on a dedicated 4 channel amp also) and I -HATE- to say this but I really think my bose paper cone speakers sounds JUST as good IF not better..especially after i hooked up to the z110bt nav screen. But you can't compare bose to focal.. they're just on another level.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man I appreciate that... yea focal is the SHIT! Used to have 3 Kicker 12 Solobaric L7s but it was just too much.. I guess as you get older you look for different things. Quality and look over quantity is what i'm into right now and retaining a "stock" look is SICK in my book. I like focal because of the build quality and crisp sound that they bring. I've had alpine, infinity kappa perfect 6.1 components, and polk audio speakers in my last vehicle (on a dedicated 4 channel amp also) and I -HATE- to say this but I really think my bose paper cone speakers sounds JUST as good IF not better..especially after i hooked up to the z110bt nav screen. But you can't compare bose to focal.. they're just on another level.

Wanna tackle a nightmare? Think bose is a *****? Try tackling a Harmon Logic7 sound system run off Bmw iDrive.. 13 speakers stock... eqs surround the whole nine.. but A: it already sounds GREAT so sounding better? Is more than just plugging shit into the holes.. then the fact you CANT remove your stereo funtctions from iDrive cause its a computer that runs the whole car from oid changes to fluid temp and stearing wheel angle and speed related drive ratio (no shit). i LOVE to see some mommas money kid try to do a JL build in one of these cars or an infinity "perfect"?!lol build only to see his shit sounds WAY worse when he was done.. lol

Yea props man.. i like the whole setup! Cant wait to see it finished up
PLUS if you need a quick seat and got 5 people someone can sit on the ******.. lol.. if its a chick.. maybe you should bring a camera ;)

Last edited:

cwh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That turned out well. Nice that you were able to keep it low. Great work. And I agree with you... stealth stock is best.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That turned out well. Nice that you were able to keep it low. Great work. And I agree with you... stealth stock is best.

Yea it was steveks idea to just go down straight to the floor. Turned out to look better then expected. Plus before when it was sitting on top of the carpet, the captain's chair was hard to fold back into it's original position. Now it is like the amp is not even there and there is also room for the amp to breathe a little bit. I basically want someone to go in my car and think everything is stock. That's another good quality about the avicz110bt-- it says pioneer at the very top in very small letters and has no knobs.. someone has actually asked me if it was the stock nav that came with the car... ha

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Wanna tackle a nightmare? Think bose is a *****? Try tackling a Harmon Logic7 sound system run off Bmw iDrive.. 13 speakers stock... eqs surround the whole nine.. but A: it already sounds GREAT so sounding better? Is more than just plugging shit into the holes.. then the fact you CANT remove your stereo funtctions from iDrive cause its a computer that runs the whole car from oid changes to fluid temp and stearing wheel angle and speed related drive ratio (no shit). i LOVE to see some mommas money kid try to do a JL build in one of these cars or an infinity "perfect"?!lol build only to see his shit sounds WAY worse when he was done.. lol

Yea props man.. i like the whole setup! Cant wait to see it finished up
PLUS if you need a quick seat and got 5 people someone can sit on the ******.. lol.. if its a chick.. maybe you should bring a camera ;)

haha my sister has a 07 bmw 3 series...maybe i'll mod her car one day. that sounds nuts but if i had all that i would keep it stock. yea you're right i didn't even think about it being a fifth seat haha i'll need it if there is ever a fifth person since I just sold my third row seats on ebay. the camera thing is also a good idea haha

cwh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like that double din. How does it work. My kenwood in my truck is a complicated un-user friendly pain in the arse. Do you have it working with the steering wheel controls?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that double din. How does it work. My kenwood in my truck is a complicated un-user friendly pain in the arse. Do you have it working with the steering wheel controls?

I had an Alpine w205 in my old Tahoe and it looked great. If I had polished the outside frame of the nav, it would've looked completely stock.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I -love- mine and it is very user friendly. People complain about the nav part of the avic-z110bt to not be very good but I travel a lot and use my nav all the time and I find it to be quick and sufficient for use. The POI's suck but you can upload your own via SD card. The double din has an eject physical button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and folds the screen down mechanically. It exposes the DVD/mp3/cd front loading slot and below that an SD card insert that can hold up to a 16GB SDHC card (FAT32 format only unfortunately. The PAC-SWI-PS works hand in hand with the pioneer avicz110bt so all of my controls (Volume up and down, source, ATT) work just fine. If I could do it all over and buy it again, I would.

CONS: In my avic-d2 pioneer nav screen (the lower end model a few years before the avicz110bt) I had the option to change my view mode from rear cam/map or just view the map. New screen added 3d map view (like tom tom's) as a 3rd viewing option but they are not easily accessible like before. I have to click 5 different options before choosing the "View Mode".

Voice Recognition sucks
Bluetooth microphone for bluetooth calls suck

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

I had an Alpine w205 in my old Tahoe and it looked great. If I had polished the outside frame of the nav, it would've looked completely stock.

I debated getting that one a while back. NICE screen. Looks sleek and very clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boom313