Just Fishing's 09 Tahoe Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the btr stage 2 truck cam. Had I known I was doing ported heads, I would’ve done a higher lift, maybe slightly bigger overall. I wanted to maintain stock drive characteristics though. Mine isn’t running so I have no fking clue how it will actually perform. 3k stall seems on the high side for my taste though

I love the 3200 stall in my vette, weird at first but it's a burn out machine now.

And i think if I want to stay with a larger volume converter, then i'm stuck with a max of like 2800 rpm or something along those lines.

The stock converter in this thing feels like it has a stall of about 1100 or 1200 rpm. o_O

I think anything above 2400 would be awesome.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the 3200 stall in my vette, weird at first but it's a burn out machine now.

And i think if I want to stay with a larger volume converter, then i'm stuck with a max of like 2800 rpm or something along those lines.

The stock converter in this thing feels like it has a stall of about 1100 or 1200 rpm. o_O

I think anything above 2400 would be awesome.

I think the added weight of the Tahoe will exaggerate the stall speed. I have a pro yank 3400 in my camaro but it has a 3.23 gear (yea, it needs waaay more gear) with the Texas giant cam. I really need like a 4k stall and 3.90 gear but the combo works. Tcc lock up doesn’t happen until 55 mph and it still jerks. Definitely not the right combo but it is what it is. You have enough knowledge to make a decision on this thing. I’m excited to see the route you take

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing a little dreaming...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-psls4270

I also found a few 6.0 basic short blocks for right around $2400 or so.
Seems to hard to find a 58x tooth crank.

How hard would it be to go from a 24x to a 58x?

I also realize that my 5.3 heads may suck on something larger, but i'm curious how badly... :)

Price wise, something like this looks pretty good.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sp19-f/make/chevrolet
I love how they charge $200 for a core and say you can avoid that by returning a suitable core at your shipping expense which is probably more than $200 so you’d get zero or less.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing a little dreaming...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-psls4270

I also found a few 6.0 basic short blocks for right around $2400 or so.
Seems to hard to find a 58x tooth crank.

How hard would it be to go from a 24x to a 58x?

I also realize that my 5.3 heads may suck on something larger, but i'm curious how badly... :)

Price wise, something like this looks pretty good.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sp19-f/make/chevrolet

The 5.3 heads would work great on the 6.0. Thats what came on the ls2 (6.0 with 243 heads).

What part fo Utah you from?

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in northern utah.
Probably like 20min north of slc

Way over there...

We did a road trip last October, Tennessee to Utah and back by way of Nebraska. We came up from Page, AZ through Moab. Stayed in Moab and did Arches NP, then hoped on I-70 east bound. Beautiful country and the most dramatic changes in scenery I've experienced, over such a short distance. The route from Flagstaff to I-70 was absolutely breathtaking.

I plan to fly into SLC, go see the salt flats and maybe this big ass lake I spotted from the plane on a previous trip, head south and do Zion NP, maybe fly back out of Vegas.

pic of said lake. I think I was coming home from Portland Oregon when I spotted this...

DCB0AA82-950F-4B91-B9DA-AAC34CC497EA.jpeg A240B7E6-7BC3-4350-A1EC-BD57C98B3F9E.jpeg

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet, i love build threads :drink_nl:

A 3k stall with a TSP Stage 3 5.3 cam would be nice. TSP has 2 versions, a low lift and high lift......I went high. With the low life you would only need some LS6 beehive springs.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh baby,
It looks like the crank and rods are also compatible.

Just the pistons are different.

How much does it cost to usually have a block bored, honed, decked, etc?

$1400 for a brand new 6.0 block..