Just Fishing's 09 Tahoe Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Many of you know my saga.
I did a DOD delete back in Jan sparked by low oil pressure.
I noticed some brass colored sparkles in the oil prior to that, but blamed it a dirty drain pan.
Sparkles have gotten worse, but oil pressure is still good with the new pump i installed.

Pulled the filter today, cut it open and i found larger metal pieces, some are magnetic...
I'm thinking i probably spun a crank bearing...

I decided it's best to totally stop running the hoe.
So I'm now working on pulling the engine and a full rebuild.

I just pulled the lower hose to drain most the antifreeze, now the work will begin.
Tomorrow is a beer day.

Hoping to get some help tomorrow after beer to yank the hood.
I used a paint marker to draw lines around the bolt positions, and around the bracket location.

*sigh*

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you made a build thread. I visited the “what did you do to yours today” thread to catch up on your progress over the last few months. I’m doing a similar thing to the avalanche now. My engine is done, just have to final assemble the trans. Getting across the goal line always seems to be the hard part. Hopefully I don’t have to do it again.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Yeah, the dream.
I thought i had it done, but i kept hearing a weird noise high pitched, almost screeching sound coming from the engine.
At first i thought it was a lifter, but when gutting afm i saw nothing wrong with the valve train.

then the glitter keeps getting worse. lol

I can still hear the sound, although not as bad as originally with the low oil pressure.
Can't wait to find out what i see.
My main hope is that the block is ok.
New OEM crank is something like $250...

I also hope the nice Melling oil pump i put in is still in good condition.
at least with the hard coat finish, it should be pretty obvious if it's damaged i imagine.

I'm also weighing in to just replace the AC compressor while it's easy to get to.
Plan is to go on a trip to the coast this summer, I sure would hate to have any issues while out on the road.

So I figured it's about time that I start a proper build thread...

I have on hand now, a set of Hummer engine mounts.
(While I'm in there)

And I'm also looking to replace the converter, I think a nice stall of about 3k rpm would be a nice workaround for the lack of low end oomph that the 5.3 has.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats probably my favorite color GM has ever put on their trucks. I tried finding a tahoe before mine that was that color and it sold so fast they never had a chance to take it off their website haha.

I wish you luck on the motor adventure

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Thats probably my favorite color GM has ever put on their trucks. I tried finding a tahoe before mine that was that color and it sold so fast they never had a chance to take it off their website haha.

I wish you luck on the motor adventure

The color was a motivation for the purchase.

And the hood is off, I'm not touching much until next weekend.
:party52:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the dream.
I thought i had it done, but i kept hearing a weird noise high pitched, almost screeching sound coming from the engine.
At first i thought it was a lifter, but when gutting afm i saw nothing wrong with the valve train.

then the glitter keeps getting worse. lol

I can still hear the sound, although not as bad as originally with the low oil pressure.
Can't wait to find out what i see.
My main hope is that the block is ok.
New OEM crank is something like $250...

I also hope the nice Melling oil pump i put in is still in good condition.
at least with the hard coat finish, it should be pretty obvious if it's damaged i imagine.

I'm also weighing in to just replace the AC compressor while it's easy to get to.
Plan is to go on a trip to the coast this summer, I sure would hate to have any issues while out on the road.

So I figured it's about time that I start a proper build thread...

I have on hand now, a set of Hummer engine mounts.
(While I'm in there)

And I'm also looking to replace the converter, I think a nice stall of about 3k rpm would be a nice workaround for the lack of low end oomph that the 5.3 has.

Good luck on it. If it has spun a cam bearing, I've seen people use one a size up and still be ok.

I bought the circle d 26-2800 for mine (same as @iamdub ). Its a 4l60 though. What cam are you going with?

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
i did a totally stock replacement cam when i did the dod delete.
lack of information, and nobody would return my emails.
so i took a "fk it" attitude.
Here is my chance to change my decision...
:D

Cam actually supports VVT, had extra oil holes and stuff, but i liked that i could use the single bolt timing chain set that has the Gen 4 chain tensioner.

I'm open to options, and i do have hp tuners and know my way around it somewhat...

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did a totally stock replacement cam when i did the dod delete.
lack of information, and nobody would return my emails.
so i took a "fk it" attitude.
Here is my chance to change my decision...
:D

Cam actually supports VVT, had extra oil holes and stuff, but i liked that i could use the single bolt timing chain set that has the Gen 4 chain tensioner.

I'm open to options, and i do have hp tuners and know my way around it somewhat...

I bought the btr stage 2 truck cam. Had I known I was doing ported heads, I would’ve done a higher lift, maybe slightly bigger overall. I wanted to maintain stock drive characteristics though. Mine isn’t running so I have no fking clue how it will actually perform. 3k stall seems on the high side for my taste though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan