Just finished mattress insert for camping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomandjerry00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thought you all may find this interesting. Just finished building a little camping insert for my Tahoe. 3/4” plywood top and legs with 2”x4” support for the top. Seems pretty solid. Legs are 10 1/2”. Insert is 39”x47” if memory serves me correct.

A full-size air mattress almost fits perfectly, will be digging around for 4” foam soon. Plenty of storage underneath for gear. Will be trying out this weekend! Only wish I had some good ideas for keeping cool besides battery fan and running engine for AC.

c851f428857572a254f35d7049f09d01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought you all may find this interesting. Just finished building a little camping insert for my Tahoe. 3/4” plywood top and legs with 2”x4” support for the top. Seems pretty solid. Legs are 10 1/2”. Insert is 39”x47” if memory serves me correct.

A full-size air mattress almost fits perfectly, will be digging around for 4” foam soon. Plenty of storage underneath for gear. Will be trying out this weekend! Only wish I had some good ideas for keeping cool besides battery fan and running engine for AC.

c851f428857572a254f35d7049f09d01.jpg

My gut would hit the roof, if I could climb up there! hehehe

Ice. Either dry or wet placed under the bed and contained of course to keep you cool. Oh wait, doesn't dry ice not play well with humans in enclosed spaces? Hmm...

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for keeping cool...
what about solar car cooler to insert in windows during day.
then you could made an igloo a/c (aka- vw beetle a/c cooler) & run it off of an extra battery ;)

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My gut would hit the roof, if I could climb up there! hehehe.

Yeah my fat ass would have to have it on the floor and away from the peering eyes in the windows LOL. I would also be freaked out because there is no way to open the rear gate from the inside. So you got to slither out the 2nd row doors somehow to get out. So I'd have to be laying feet first towards that direction. And I'm claustrophobic, yeah I definitely could not be raised up that high LOL. :confused:o_O

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, thats a mighty fine job but,...Im getting claustrophobic just looking at it.

I had this immediate vision of paramedics and fire trucks surrounding my vehicle, radios blaring, disturbing the morning peace and serenity of other campers while they cut my morbidly obese ass out of it with the jaws of life...

I think id have to crawl into that coffin and THEN inflate the mattress...

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the Ritz [emoji106] better then a tent . Great job [emoji106]

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Blue2002Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaving windows open an inch or so would likely help. And I’ve noticed with those black window sun deflectors people looking at your car can’t notice if windows are cracked or not

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would also be freaked out because there is no way to open the rear gate from the inside. So you got to slither out the 2nd row doors somehow to get out.

I wonder how hard it would be to install a second gate release button on the inside of the lift gate? Would need to maybe put a cover over it so you don’t accidentally bump it when you’re sleeping and wake up to a creature of nature crawling on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018