Where do you carry your spare oversize tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I am still working on building a swing out tire rack and hope to get it done after Christmas but... In the mean time I am taking a long trip and I need a spare tire... So what to do with that big 35 inch tire and where do you put a big jack to lift it up... Here is my solution.

I am sure some of you have seen my post on a rear Installing a bed / storage platform.. Well here is a quick solution kind of like that only this is for stashing a spare tire on the cheap... All total about $20.00

Just put it on the floor, cover it with a piece of plywood and strap it down. You will still have room around it to store extra gear. For winter driving I have a double wide zero degree sleeping bag just in case you get stuck out in the middle of nowhere you can see it on the right side of the tire.. On the left side is an electric air pump, some personal snow gear and a set of snow chains to fit my big tires. There is still plenty of room for suitcases shopping bags and other stuff on top.. Not to mention I still have a foot of space between this and the rear door, plus I can still use the small storage compartment on the left side.

20171218_104641.jpg

The Hi-lift jack... I opted for the 48 inch jack for highway and in city travel but, for more serious off road I like the 60 inch jack the 60 will mount on my roof rack... The 48 in jack will actually fit under the rear seat and not rattle or fly around in sudden turns or heavy braking... I also removed the stock jack, rear tire hoist and all the stuff no longer needed due to my lift and larger tires I also added a long 1/2 breaker bar and socket to remove the lug nuts easier... I got a small tool bag that fits in the left side jack compartment and also keep a set of jumper cables, spare lights, a tire patch kit and other things I don't want flying around in the storage place too.

20171218_105710.jpg

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I don't carry one but have air tanks and twin compressors with enough air to run impact guns all where spare tire was located. A can of fix a flat, tire plugs, and ether to reset bead in the tool bag. If I blow a sidewall I will just call a roll back to get me. Been doing it for years now and no issues.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys have some pretty bad ass Trucks.

Tozan,
Are you building a swing out for the stock bumper? Or do you matching one like the front?

Where do you hook the high lift?

Will your spare fit under your bed platform?

I've been thinking about removing my spare. I'm going in the opposite direction as you guys and would like to remove weight as well as the hassle of removing it. Even though I just got new tires haha.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I don't carry one but have air tanks and twin compressors with enough air to run impact guns all where spare tire was located. A can of fix a flat, tire plugs, and ether to reset bead in the tool bag. If I blow a sidewall I will just call a roll back to get me. Been doing it for years now and no issues.

I have an on board twin cylinder air compressor on mine and carry a patch kit. But it isn't as bad ass as yours it wont run air tools... Some of the places I go to are way off the grid no cell coverage for 50 miles or more even my satellite phone has a problem getting out sometime...

You guys have some pretty bad ass Trucks.

Tozan,
Are you building a swing out for the stock bumper? Or do you matching one like the front?

Where do you hook the high lift?

Will your spare fit under your bed platform?

I've been thinking about removing my spare. I'm going in the opposite direction as you guys and would like to remove weight as well as the hassle of removing it. Even though I just got new tires haha.

Yes, I will be building a swing out carrier in Jan. but I have Fab Four steel bumpers front and rear. My 48 inch high lift is under the rear seat right now and is held in place by the seat. I will be putting a 60 inch on the rear swing out carrier when I build it.

Unfortunately the spare wont fit under the shelf because it is to wide of a tire.

Since the spare wont fit under the back I removed all the tire stuff like the winch and shields for better ground clearance and to get rid of the weight. I am thinking of putting a secondary fuel cell where the tire was to increase driving range.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I have an on board twin cylinder air compressor on mine and carry a patch kit. But it isn't as bad ass as yours it wont run air tools... Some of the places I go to are way off the grid no cell coverage for 50 miles or more even my satellite phone has a problem getting out sometime...

Yes, I will be building a swing out carrier in Jan. but I have Fab Four steel bumpers front and rear. My 48 inch high lift is under the rear seat right now and is held in place by the seat. I will be putting a 60 inch on the rear swing out carrier when I build it.

Unfortunately the spare wont fit under the shelf because it is to wide of a tire.

Since the spare wont fit under the back I removed all the tire stuff like the winch and shields for better ground clearance and to get rid of the weight. I am thinking of putting a secondary fuel cell where the tire was to increase driving range.

Yours is def more geared to off road work horse than mine for sure! If I were you I’d mount the tire in a safari rack on the roof until a swing out mount for the bumper happens. Seems like you would have the roof clearance in your area. For my air system I just had to have a lot of air gallons to run impacts.

Raptor Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am still working on building a swing out tire rack and hope to get it done after Christmas but... In the mean time I am taking a long trip and I need a spare tire... So what to do with that big 35 inch tire and where do you put a big jack to lift it up... Here is my solution.

I am sure some of you have seen my post on a rear Installing a bed / storage platform.. Well here is a quick solution kind of like that only this is for stashing a spare tire on the cheap... All total about $20.00

Just put it on the floor, cover it with a piece of plywood and strap it down. You will still have room around it to store extra gear. For winter driving I have a double wide zero degree sleeping bag just in case you get stuck out in the middle of nowhere you can see it on the right side of the tire.. On the left side is an electric air pump, some personal snow gear and a set of snow chains to fit my big tires. There is still plenty of room for suitcases shopping bags and other stuff on top.. Not to mention I still have a foot of space between this and the rear door, plus I can still use the small storage compartment on the left side.

View attachment 189019

The Hi-lift jack... I opted for the 48 inch jack for highway and in city travel but, for more serious off road I like the 60 inch jack the 60 will mount on my roof rack... The 48 in jack will actually fit under the rear seat and not rattle or fly around in sudden turns or heavy braking... I also removed the stock jack, rear tire hoist and all the stuff no longer needed due to my lift and larger tires I also added a long 1/2 breaker bar and socket to remove the lug nuts easier... I got a small tool bag that fits in the left side jack compartment and also keep a set of jumper cables, spare lights, a tire patch kit and other things I don't want flying around in the storage place too.

View attachment 189020

I am running 35X12.5 BFGs and originally went with the Wilco Max hitch mount solution. Decided to go heavy duty for strength and security, so I went with an Iron Bull rear bumper and cut bumper and welded in the Wilco Hitchgate Max. Modified the Wilco to mount wheel with standard wheel studs as well.

24E44F5E-A93A-403F-ABEA-D6BC89589A41.jpeg