just bought an 05 tahoe!! Steering wheel lights out PLEASE HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfranklin74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought an 05 tahoe. I was driving home lastnight and i noticed ALL of my steering wheel lights are out on the controls. How can I fix this? Does the steering wheel HAVE to come off? All of the buttons work they just dont light up. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!!!thanks in advance

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought an 05 tahoe. I was driving home lastnight and i noticed ALL of my steering wheel lights are out on the controls. How can I fix this? Does the steering wheel HAVE to come off? All of the buttons work they just dont light up. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!!!thanks in advance

those stupid things burn out... to replace you have to remove the steerring wheel, and replace the switches I believe..

A couple of mine are out, but after a while you memorize what buttons are what..

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they put tiny bulbs in there from the factory and they burn out after a while. I had a bulb burn out in my AC control panel so I replaced all the bulbs with LED's.

Look here.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
You can use a hook tool to pry them out and replace them. I've replaced 1 so far and the others are all almost burned out now. It takes about 3 minutes to switch one out with the hook tool.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any pics of this hook tool and pulling them out

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to take the wheel off, and you don't need a hook tool. It'd help, I'm sure, but I replaced one of mine in a Target parking lot with nothing more than a small pocket knife and a piece of napkin. I was waiting for Target to open, had the switch, figured why not go for it.
If you go to Rite Aid / Walgreens / any pharmacy place and look for dental tools, you should be able to find something that looks like what the dentist uses to scrap plaque off when you get a cleaning. You could probably use that. Otherwise, if you want to go my route, just take a slim blade...maybe a nail file would be good too. Use something like a folded napkin or a matchbook cover to cover the blade and protect the leather when you pry the switch out. It's about an inch deep, I think there's a lip on the inside edge to grab. Once you get it part way out, you can grab it and wiggle it the rest of the way. There's not a lot of slack in the wire, but there's enough to be able to swap out switches.
Seriously - if a monkey like me could do it in 10 minutes with improvised tools, I think anyone can do it.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tools, I have a set, great tools for many jobs
da1234.jpg