jarydM’s 2005 Tahoe Build/Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
After several years of school, remodeling a house, and settling into a job, I finally have time to work on my Tahoe. Our original adventure vehicle, and the best car I had ever owned (until my current one)
3E52A1F2-EBB5-492F-AA7D-2F234E481D15.jpeg

She was perfect, until I rear ended a guy at a red-light, and bent/broke a lot of the front right. Insurance paid for it, and she was back to almost as good as new, even though the hood never quite fit right again.

I bought wheels off a new Silverado, and gave it a mild facelift
439EDE79-125C-4F7D-8A97-EEBE471DD841.jpeg

Then in the fall of 2018, while driving home from Nashville in the early morning, a deer ran out in front of me, and I nailed him while pushing 80mph.

71C8BEA9-4CE0-437A-B056-BB9F95AFB291.jpeg

Grille, broken. Headlights, broken or gone. Bumper, bent and broken. Hood, crimped from his antlers. Radiator, cracked. Drivers door smashed in and covered in shit.

Insurance paid out 9k, and I bought her back for 1600.

Back to my driveway she went, because my garage was full of house stuff because of the remodel. Took the money and upgraded to a 2013 Escalade....

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
After several years of school, remodeling a house, and settling into a job, I finally have time to work on my Tahoe. Our original adventure vehicle, and the best car I had ever owned (until my current one)
View attachment 250847

She was perfect, until I rear ended a guy at a red-light, and bent/broke a lot of the front right. Insurance paid for it, and she was back to almost as good as new, even though the hood never quite fit right again.

I bought wheels off a new Silverado, and gave it a mild facelift
View attachment 250848

Then in the fall of 2018, while driving home from Nashville in the early morning, a deer ran out in front of me, and I nailed him while pushing 80mph.

View attachment 250849

Grille, broken. Headlights, broken or gone. Bumper, bent and broken. Hood, crimped from his antlers. Radiator, cracked. Drivers door smashed in and covered in shit.

Insurance paid out 9k, and I bought her back for 1600.

Back to my driveway she went, because my garage was full of house stuff because of the remodel. Took the money and upgraded to a 2013 Escalade....
What'cha got planned? Did you ever get it fixed after the deer? Have a salvage/rebuilt title now? STUPID DEER:mad:!!

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
The Escalade was great, and made me forget about the Tahoe. Maybe I should sell it, but it had so many good memories, and I knew I could fix it.

Then this spring, the unthinkable happened. The Escalade stuck a lifter because of the 4cyl shutdown mode, which I hadn’t been able to tune out yet because of cost.

I called a few mechanics. One told me he would only put a remanufactured or new engine in it. Another told me he wouldn’t touch it, but to look up a guy on YouTube who knew how to unstick it.

so I did. I ordered his tool, and unstuck the lifter. And then I traded the Escalade away forever, and bought a proper truck (for our pull behind camper).

But now it’s time to fix the Tahoe...BF122134-B46F-4F39-9981-125A65B4FCF9.jpeg

Green from weather and the trees, and parked for almost two years, I worried about what would happen if I wanted to start it.

put some fuel stabilizer and oil stabilized in, charged the battery and.. started right up. Ran a little rough for about 10 minutes, then settled down and ran right. So now the hunt for body parts begins in earnest, and I find myself trying to decide if I’m going to build it back the same, or put the 04-06 Silverado HD front on it.

also, time to install all the upgrades and parts I’ve accumulated for it..

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The Escalade was great, and made me forget about the Tahoe. Maybe I should sell it, but it had so many good memories, and I knew I could fix it.

Then this spring, the unthinkable happened. The Escalade stuck a lifter because of the 4cyl shutdown mode, which I hadn’t been able to tune out yet because of cost.

I called a few mechanics. One told me he would only put a remanufactured or new engine in it. Another told me he wouldn’t touch it, but to look up a guy on YouTube who knew how to unstick it.

so I did. I ordered his tool, and unstuck the lifter. And then I traded the Escalade away forever, and bought a proper truck (for our pull behind camper).

But now it’s time to fix the Tahoe...View attachment 250850

Green from weather and the trees, and parked for almost two years, I worried about what would happen if I wanted to start it.

put some fuel stabilizer and oil stabilized in, charged the battery and.. started right up. Ran a little rough for about 10 minutes, then settled down and ran right. So now the hunt for body parts begins in earnest, and I find myself trying to decide if I’m going to build it back the same, or put the 04-06 Silverado HD front on it.

also, time to install all the upgrades and parts I’ve accumulated for it..
So you're thinking of putting the cat eyes front end on it? I have the 01-02 Silverado HD hood and grill on my 03.20190817_122711.jpg

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
So you're thinking of putting the cat eyes front end on it? I have the 01-02 Silverado HD hood and grill on my 03.View attachment 250866
The 01-03 HD front is so popular, you literally can’t find the parts. I had a thread on here a year ago after I had seen a suburban with it76D3C9F6-AB74-4CA5-95AF-85CE80DF6E86.jpeg

I just think that looks awesome. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Wow that’s a lot of mayhem. Poor tahoe. But at least now you’re tackling it! Good luck and I can’t wait to see the progress!

yeah, poor thing had a rough year. I half expected her to not even start. But sitting in the seat and turning the key was like seeing an old friend again.

As for what I have planned:

1.5” wheel spacers to move the stance out a bit.

NNBS front brake upgrade

body repair.

after that I’ll think about fun things. Decided not to put another motor in, but instead I think I’ll have someone machine and tune.

will have to have tranny rebuilt eventually, it was already being funky

exhaust upgrade

replace driver’s seat bottom where leather is ripped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts