jarydM’s 2005 Tahoe Build/Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, except for the door. I have a friend that has a body shop, gonna have him price painting the door.

the bumper of course is chrome, so I’m gonna learn to paint it
The bumper isn’t too hard to paint chrome wise because it’s actual metal as opposed to plastic chrome parts like the grille and trim pieces. It’s easier to sand and get primer to bond to.

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
The bumper isn’t too hard to paint chrome wise because it’s actual metal as opposed to plastic chrome parts like the grille and trim pieces. It’s easier to sand and get primer to bond to.

I figured painting plastic “chrome” would be easier because I could just sand down to the plastic.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured painting plastic “chrome” would be easier because I could just sand down to the plastic.
Many have tried to strip the chrome off of plastic all the way. And not been successful. At least from what I’ve seen from guys here. The plastic chrome coating is pretty difficult to deal with. And it’s harder to get paint to bond to. Where as paint will bond to your metal bumper a lot easier.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Many have tried to strip the chrome off of plastic all the way. And not been successful. At least from what I’ve seen from guys here. The plastic chrome coating is pretty difficult to deal with. And it’s harder to get paint to bond to. Where as paint will bond to your metal bumper a lot easier.
Etching primer.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice to see you starting on an awesome project. I’ll be following along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts