jarydM’s 2005 Tahoe Build/Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
The hunt for a drivers side fender is coming up bunk. Literally every truck is smashed one or both of them. And don’t even get me started on the incredible luck of finding a bumper...

anyways, part of the plan a LONG time ago was to do a full HD front conversion, including the bumper. Not just a 1500 bumper with the cut out for the grille.

but the problem lies in that the bumper mounts put the bumper ~1.25” too high on the body. I’m not willing to cut and or re-weld my frame horns, so instead I’m doing part one of the lift, which will be 1.5” body lift and front level. Parts are ready to be installed next time I have a break.

thoughts/advice for future: is it cheaper to have transmission rebuilt, or buy a built transmission? Mine isn’t done, but it was having slip issues before she got parked (infrequently)

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Several more parts arrived today, including the headlight hangers, so i got to test fit thatFD66355A-FCEC-4076-A6F2-AD6C5B234638.jpegand also installed a new power steering cooler to replace the one the deer nearly broke in half. I bent it back straight, and it wasn’t leaking while unpressurized, but I felt it “give” when it bent back, and a brand new one was only ~$40

also fitted the new part today of the drivers side fender. Had to drive 100 miles to get it
1780A476-3653-464F-AB91-FD33594CB8DF.jpeg
also put the new hood on, and let me tell you friends, don’t do that job alone! Damn near killed my fool self!

also got the rotors and pads to do the NNBS brake upgrade but now have to work for 8 days straight, so time for a break...

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Radiator came today a full week early, and blessedly pristine and undamaged.
Body lift kit also came today, will have to get a few more of the longer size bolts, and that’ll be good to go.

so time off next week
1) assemble parts back onto fenders, and reattach all accessories and engine compartment parts
2) install new radiator.
3) check for leaks under pressure.
4) install brake upgrade, new rotors and new pads
5) install wheel spacers
6) body lift
7) prep and paint bumper, grill, esky vent covers then install
8) drive!

actually I’ll have to replace the drivers door at some point in there, but I think I’m gonna have it professionally painted, then move all the wires/etc from old door to new door.

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
New radiator and new power steering cooler mounted and hooked up. Topped off, bled air, and checked for leaks.

got a little concerned because the fans didn’t cut on for almost ever, and started to get worried that I must’ve messed something up, but then they finally cut on.

Drove it around the block (mostly to wash the truck off) and found some new issues:

AC compressor I think gave out when it started this time. It made an awful noise when it started, then there wasn’t any cold air, or noise when you turned it on or off. I added some refrigerant and the pump made some noise, but the lines were under pressure already, and nothing changed.

as if that wasn’t frustrating enough, the blend door for the front AC has apparently quit again, so I’ll have to change that (again). Additionally I tried to replace that part for the rear AC unit only to find out it had broken off and feel down into the unit, so maybe I’ll take that apart too.

radio connection is shorting out (wife reminded me it was doing that before I parked it) so I’ll take the dash off to fix that.

And now almost all the lights in the gauge cluster are out, so I’ll be looking for someone to rebuild it, or put the esky cluster I always wanted in.

still trying to find someone to paint the new door for me, and then figure out how to move all the parts and electronics from one door to the other..

Struck out on the bolts for body lift to replace the ones for the truck bed in the kit, so I’ll just order them.

all the body parts are installed, except the wheel flares waiting on new body clips, and the bumper and grill which are waiting on paint and the body lift.