It's time for new rotors. What should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
If you don't want to go with an a high priced option such as Wilwood you can always go with slotted and drilled rotors off ebay. Just be sure to watch the quality and warranties. As for the brake dust issue, that is common with cheaper pads, even the ones that claim to be ceramic. I have found that a good low dust ceramic pad is the Wagner Thermoquiet pads. If you want better stopping capability and still prefer the low dust then spend a little extra on the pads and upgrade to Wagner Thermoquiet Severe Duty pads. I know they are available for the front, but not sure on the rear. Thermoquiet Severe Duty pads are utilized, and recommended, on fleet vehicles, and encuraged on heavy duty applications such as the GMC Kodiak truck and Ford F-450+ trucks. This setup for all 4 wheels can be purchased for about $300-400.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kirk, not sure if you are still contemplating what to go with. I just saw this thread. When I replaced mine I went with SSBC big brake kit up front which is caliper relocators and slotted only 14" rotors. In the past I have had great luck with Hawk ceramic pads on the Audi's I have had and loved the reduction of brake dust, which anyone who has owned an Audi/VW can attest usually shows in 1-2 days after a wash. So I chose the same pads for front and rear on the tahoe, I kept the stock rear rotors.
I know I don't run 22's, but I have heavy ass 33's on my tahoe and the stopping distance is way better than stock and brake fade/mushy pedal is improved greatly after multiple high speed stops.
Would I have liked to go with a full Wilwood or even SSBC caliper/rotor set-up...sure, but I just wanted a marked improvement over the stock brakes without breaking the bank and I achieved that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman