It's time for new rotors. What should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Pretty sure that I warped my rotors a while ago, and I'm sick and tired of the pulsing I get when stopping. It's time for new rotors (and pads, I suppose). What should I get? Slotted? Slotted and drilled? Standard? In order of importance, I'd rate what I'm looking for as:

1. Stopping power better than stock
2. looks (not looking for a lot of dust on the new 22"s)
3. Cost (cost isn't a huge factor, but I probably won't be going with a $2000 Willwood set up anytime soon, either)

(Yes, gave the search function a whirl, but I hate it, and don't think that a million posts about brakes on an '02 provide quite the same info as posts on '07+ brakes.)

Thanks, folks!

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirk... What's your budget? That would help us alot. Get the 14.24" 4-piston Wilwood setup. I think it's only like $1600 right now. Well worth it brother...

If not, I've heard people using the R1 Concept rotors on eBay with good luck? Or for $600, you can get a 15" Baer rotor with caliper relocation brackets. Just depends on how much you wanna spend.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robbie -- Are you going to cost me MORE money now?! Hahaha!

I guess I'm not sure what my budget is... But with the 22s on there, and with the braking feeling like crap right now, I'm open to spending some money for some great stopping performance.

Does the $1600 kit "hold up?" Any chance of warping THOSE rotors? I'd hope not... But, then again, I really don't know anything about the kit but the well-respected name.

Have a part number/link? More info? Thanks, Robbie. (Darn you!)

Oh, and I'd like to hear about the $600 option, too. I have Baer Eradispeeds on my Z06, and they're good. They were partly for looks, but they do perform well. This truck is SO much heavier, obviously, so braking performance is paramount. (The Vette brakes were already good, so just better-than-stock on it is very, very good.)

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my rotors turned/resurfaced a couple thousand miles ago and couldn't be happier. New pads on all 4 and all 4 rotors turned ran me close to $200, and I had a BAD pulse before, now it is smooth as it can be.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my rotors turned/resurfaced a couple thousand miles ago and couldn't be happier. New pads on all 4 and all 4 rotors turned ran me close to $200, and I had a BAD pulse before, now it is smooth as it can be.

Chris -- I had them turned earlier this year, and I don't know that anything is better. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and trash the stock rotors, at least.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robbie -- Are you going to cost me MORE money now?! Hahaha!

I guess I'm not sure what my budget is... But with the 22s on there, and with the braking feeling like crap right now, I'm open to spending some money for some great stopping performance.

Does the $1600 kit "hold up?" Any chance of warping THOSE rotors? I'd hope not... But, then again, I really don't know anything about the kit but the well-respected name.

Have a part number/link? More info? Thanks, Robbie. (Darn you!)

Oh, and I'd like to hear about the $600 option, too. I have Baer Eradispeeds on my Z06, and they're good. They were partly for looks, but they do perform well. This truck is SO much heavier, obviously, so braking performance is paramount. (The Vette brakes were already good, so just better-than-stock on it is very, very good.)

I'm sorry Kirk... but if there is EVER a time to buy a Wilwood Brake Kit, THIS is it. Their running some huge special right now and the prices for a BBK are unreal.

$1600 kit (it might even be cheaper now) is pretty much the same kit as I am running, just utilizes a 14.25" rotor, but maintains the big ass 6-piston caliper. I went with drilled and slotted. They look wicked. Part Number is: 140-9789-DR. You'd also need the front stainless line kit: 220-10979. This is Wilwood specific, so make sure you get Wilwood lines.

They make a matching rear kit, it certainly completes the look, but its not 100% necessary. We've been running without it for a few months. But, because the prices are so cheap on them right now, we pulled the trigger last week and ordered the matching 4-piston/14.25" rear setup.

I don't think that these would just "warp" that easy. They are built to last. We ran the 24s with them and had no warping issues, still work fine. There is another member on here running the 14.25" kit on all four corners and loves it. We'll be in the same boat, just 16/14.25" setup.

I have the part number for the BAER brakes saved on my home computer, I'll get it for you when I get home. But, to be honest, I'd go big brakes, big calipers, all balls. Sorry to coerce you, but they look so badass and the prices are SO right. :emotions122:

Seems like Tony (NORCAL SS) has a Wilwood account now. Might hit him up and see what he can do for you for the price. I know his prices are pretty good compared to anyone else.

Last edited:

BigRed76

SeniorGroupbuyMember
Reaction score
Read my sig for my setup. Changed them about 15k miles ago and still going strong. Excellent setup and very happy with it. Stopping power is amazing and very little brake dust.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baer Eradispeed plus front and rear. P.N. 2301049 and 2302023. HUGE difference and a simple bolt on using your original calipers (no bleeding which can be a PITA on these trucks). Run you about $1,200 for both. I have zero complaints.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies so far, folks!

Robbie -- I take it that there's no problem running the 14.25"s with the factory 22"s? What about with the factory 20"s (if I ever wanted to swap them back on in the winter or something)?

Fast55 -- Same questions to you.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Fast -- Also, do the stock calipers scrub the whole face of the new rotors, or only part of it (since the rotors are larger but the calipers are the same)? Seems to me that my rear Z brakes only scrub a portion of the rotor face, which is a little goofy....

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirk.. we took the 24s off on June 7 and ordered our new 24s. We put our Stock 20s back on and have had them on since (24s still are being built). The Wilwood kit clears the stock 20s with no issues whatsoever. And we have 16" rotors, not 14.25", so I can assure you they fit with no issues. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove