Issues with P0455

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

galvez83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Folks i am having issues with filling at gas pump. To the point of gurgles at filler neck for 3 minutes. I recorded a video but can't upload it here so i did my best to provide a picture. Parts that have been replaced are gas cap, charcoal canister, vapor canister vent valve and purge solenoid. Any idea what could cause p0455 and issues filling up?

Attachments

• 20230201_084708_exported_4362.jpg
    20230201_084708_exported_4362.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 4

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all that replaced the lines on the tank could be plugged from the bad canister. You could also have a bad FLVV that is in the fuel tank which could also be the reason you can't fill the tank properly.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome, what kinda truck you got?

You covered everything, but the likely cause is residual carbon pellets in the tank & lines or a pinched vent line that may have been routed incorrectly after a recent, corresponding service.

You’re going to have to pull the tank if you haven’t yet. You’ll be able to blow out all the lines, wipe out the tank and replace the pump that’s likely getting clogged w/ pellets intermittently.

If you have an 07 or 08 three line fuel pump, rock auto or Amazon is the place to get an OEM fuel unit w/o the GM stamp on it. Brands like Bosch, Continental or ac Delco will be the best buy and potentially with a lifetime guarantee.

09-14 two line pumps have the best value at parts geek. Last I saw they had AC Delco pumps w/ lifetime guarantee for $249. Make sure you get a replacement pump w/ a new level sender.

I did all this on our 09 and it needed it all after 130k clicks. My last straw was the pump too. Fortunately I knew the Non OEM fuel pumps were usually counterfeit knock offs that lasted 12-18 months. Doing the fuel pump job twice sucks because there’s diagnostic involved too. I didn’t know where to get a deal on an OEM pump so I had to pay $5h for a GM OEM unit locally.

It gets better and you’re almost there.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and your first post.

Yes, like @zbad55 and @petethepug said, likely problem with the lines being clogged. Would help to know what you are driving.

In so many threads about evap system problems, I see people replacing a part here and a part there and then in the end, the whole system is needed. I just bit the bullet on my rig and did the whole system at the same time. I was not having problems but knew eventually likely would and while I was doing all the other work in my build thread, I just threw money at it and did the whole shebang. Good luck. Perhaps just blowing the lines out will do the trick.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and your first post.

Yes, like @zbad55 and @petethepug said, likely problem with the lines being clogged. Would help to know what you are driving.

In so many threads about evap system problems, I see people replacing a part here and a part there and then in the end, the whole system is needed. I just bit the bullet on my rig and did the whole system at the same time. I was not having problems but knew eventually likely would and while I was doing all the other work in my build thread, I just threw money at it and did the whole shebang. Good luck. Perhaps just blowing the lines out will do the trick.
I replaced the canister on my 2012 and am about to do it on my ‘07 even though I’m not having any problems with the system yet. Maybe I’ll replace the solenoid and the valve in the ‘07 as well while I’m at it.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks i am having issues with filling at gas pump. To the point of gurgles at filler neck for 3 minutes. I recorded a video but can't upload it here so i did my best to provide a picture. Parts that have been replaced are gas cap, charcoal canister, vapor canister vent valve and purge solenoid. Any idea what could cause p0455 and issues filling up?
From my mx log:
11/12/18

Check engine light came on – code P0455

The previous owner had recently installed a ACDelco/GM 23481275 Vapor Canister Vent Valve($35 amazon), but the code came back, so I replaced the gas cap w/ACDelco# GT330 ($19 amazon) and the vapor cannister purge valve, located on top of the driver side fwd valve cover, w/ACDelco# 214-1680 ($19 amazon). FIXED!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably just need to blow out the lines with a air compressor, but if for some reason it is related to the fuel pump, herko has them at a good price, even the "herko" brand is really a oem pump in there box. they have some kind of deal with gm overstock or the oem manufacture and my belief is there are legal reasons they have to re-brand some.

OP
OP
G

galvez83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The vehicle in question is a 2012 Tahoe LS. To be honest it is driving me up the wall with this issue. No issues cranking or the like, just filling up and the check engine light with P0455.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK The reason your are having the fill issues is because somewhere you have a blockage in the system. When you start filling the fuel tank in needs to evacuate the vapor/air in the system in order to put the fuel in. The way these systems work now is to push all the vapor into the vapor canister so as not to expel the vapors into the atmosphere. This is known as ORVR (Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery) this is just a basic explanation as there is a lot more to it. The best thing you can do when you get it fixed is to not overfill your fuel tank, 3 clicks off at the pump then stop.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vehicle in question is a 2012 Tahoe LS. To be honest it is driving me up the wall with this issue. No issues cranking or the like, just filling up and the check engine light with P0455.
The others here are 100% right. You have charcoal pellets in the vapor lines and they need to be blown out with compressed air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01