Is this how the rear springs are supposed to be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A1251R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-04-14 103348.png
I just removed the 3" rear / 2" front blocks that were installed by the sheriff's department which owned this Tahoe previously. Now the rear springs are just resting on the axle with the vehicle on the lift. From everything I've read, the springs are supposed to be 'wedged' in place requiring the disconnection of the shocks and swaybar links to allow for their removal / installation. I know they are about ½" shorter than normal from wear, but this seems very sketchy. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, if anyone is interested, these spacers are available for sale if anyone wants to lift their vehicle.

Screenshot 2023-04-14 103504.png

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, we used to change springs by lifting in the air and letting rear axle hang. Then set a tall stand under the rear diff. Then unbolt the bottom of the shocks. Pry one spring out, then lift up at that end and the other spring would then have gobs of room as the rear axle would teeter totter and install new springs in reverse of that.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect the OP still has the shocks in place? Guessing those shocks were part of the lift kit and a couple inches longer?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some decent front strut spacers, much nicer than those bottom mounted spacers. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a spacer like that at the top of the strut.

OP
OP
A1251R

A1251R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I suspect the OP still has the shocks in place? Guessing those shocks were part of the lift kit and a couple inches longer?
I measured the shocks fully extended and they seem to be factory but I don't really have any way of knowing for sure. The springs have more than enough room to be removed without removing the shocks which seems odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans