Is there such thing as out of balance (engine, AC fan, etc.) that cause rough idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding, I will clean TB at this point by taking it off the truck. I bought new gasket for TB as well just in case. This Gen V are Throttle by Wire, so I will be the guinea pig for this forum. Maybe I should do a video to recoup some of the money I wasted trying to fix this truck while it is in full warranty ;) I am reading that varnished oil vapors is what I need to look for on the TB and butterfly to clean. I agree at 15K there should not be much to clean but... DI engine execution by GM is just low quality of design and build. Speaking from experience I cleaned MAP and MAF sensor last night using CRC MAF cleaner, noticeably better idle today. Not 100% but I think much better. I need to run it more on a hot day but from what I can tell there is improvement, so I am chasing the right problem somehow - fuel + air.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
False positive on the cleaning MAF and MAP, drove quite a bit today and same old shaking flutter trembling is as bad as before. Not sure why it was better for a brief period but cleaning did not help.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
L83 idle with the AC on, virtually no wiggle you can see the end of the dipstick wiggle a little but even holding my phone against the frame there is no video shake and the idler doesn't even wiggle

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L83 idle with the AC on, virtually no wiggle you can see the end of the dipstick wiggle a little but even holding my phone against the frame there is no video shake and the idler doesn't even wiggle

Your video reminded me of one thing I like better about the K2 vs the GMT900 engine bay.... You have PWM fans instead of just the HI/LO fans of the GMT900 . Even with your a/c on, your fans run much slower and quieter than my K5L fans. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever heard a K2 style truck/suv run on hi.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your video reminded me of one thing I like better about the K2 vs the GMT900 engine bay.... You have PWM fans instead of just the HI/LO fans of the GMT900 . Even with your a/c on, your fans run much slower and quieter than my K5L fans. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever heard a K2 style truck/suv run on hi.
i think these fan motors are brushless on the k2xxx that alone makes a lot of difference, there is no 500w/700w option only a option for a thicker radiator with the towing package
7/8" is regular and 1 1/8" is the enhanced cooling

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt that even Gen V DI engines can run smooth as butter, but there are also many that rough idle all the time.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt that even Gen V DI engines can run smooth as butter, but there are also many that rough idle all the time.
Do you by any chance have the max tow package? Duel radiator fans. I have that and wondering if there is a connection there?