Is there such thing as out of balance (engine, AC fan, etc.) that cause rough idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to attempt throttle body clean but since this is drive by wire Gen V, horror stories are all over the Web. There are no how-tos for Gen V DI engines to clean TB and re-learn idle position. I suspect nobody in the right mind needs to clean the TB on the Gen V trucks but since I am doing all that I could I am trying. I read about doing it on the truck without removing the TB, open it electronically without starting many saying this is the way to do it while others are saying to clean well remove and clean offboard but do not touch the butterfly. Fourth group is saying clean, move, do what you need just relearn... Others chime in saying that butterfly has molybdenum film on the it to improve sealing and airflow... There is no clarity. I recognize most everyone here do not have to do this BS job but I am determined to ruling out all possibilities within $350 budget that I set to do it all DIY.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my engine mounts replaced under tsb. It’s helped but rough idle still there enough to bother me. Order diablo tuner, raised idle to 600 RPM on the stock tune and it’s been fine. Just got the Diablew custom 91/93 tune on ECM/TCM. What a difference in the way the truck drives. Very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to attempt throttle body clean but since this is drive by wire Gen V, horror stories are all over the Web. There are no how-tos for Gen V DI engines to clean TB and re-learn idle position. I suspect nobody in the right mind needs to clean the TB on the Gen V trucks but since I am doing all that I could I am trying. I read about doing it on the truck without removing the TB, open it electronically without starting many saying this is the way to do it while others are saying to clean well remove and clean offboard but do not touch the butterfly. Fourth group is saying clean, move, do what you need just relearn... Others chime in saying that butterfly has molybdenum film on the it to improve sealing and airflow... There is no clarity. I recognize most everyone here do not have to do this BS job but I am determined to ruling out all possibilities within $350 budget that I set to do it all DIY.
I have cleaned the butterfly while on the engine. The back was filthy. I just opened it and wiped it down and the housing. No issues. It relearned the idle position quickly.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When did the mounts get done? Now to try and cure the vibes or a while back and was the replacement to try and correct the vibes and it did not work? It should have been done under warranty unless you just were doing them to try and fix the vibes and they said that would be on you. The whole story please. After all, the rig is new enough it should not need mounts at all, unless you rack up the miles onthis rig. What is the mileage?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Had my engine mounts replaced under tsb. It’s helped but rough idle still there enough to bother me. Order diablo tuner, raised idle to 600 RPM on the stock tune and it’s been fine. Just got the Diablew custom 91/93 tune on ECM/TCM. What a difference in the way the truck drives. Very happy.

Yea, I had asked him and others if there was a way to just turn the idle up a bit and would be fixed. OP never responded about that and no other member said anything except for you and I have read other threads about doing that as well to fix the same problem.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did pay because they told me that in absence of codes they have nothing to repair under warranty, shaking is within spec per GM, less than 2 gram on a Picoscope. Bottle test is proving nothing to them. I took to Arbitrage and lost, per arbitrator vibrations are not dangerous and truck did not stall, not once. So I bit the bullet. It was done 3 months ago at 11,500 miles now truck is at 15,000 miles.

When did the mounts get done? Now to try and cure the vibes or a while back and was the replacement to try and correct the vibes and it did not work? It should have been done under warranty unless you just were doing them to try and fix the vibes and they said that would be on you. The whole story please. After all, the rig is new enough it should not need mounts at all, unless you rack up the miles onthis rig. What is the mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I had asked him and others if there was a way to just turn the idle up a bit and would be fixed. OP never responded about that and no other member said anything except for you and I have read other threads about doing that as well to fix the same problem.
I just think 480 to 500 RPMs is just too low. For me 600 is the sweet spot. On the custom tune Lew has it at 650Rpm which i don’t like. He’s going to bring it back down to 600 for me

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have idle raised all the way to 650 now but skipping/miss is still there when engine is fully hot. It is a bit worse on Exxon 89 but my truck seems to like BP 89 or BJ's 93 best. This is not scientific at all, just what I feel. Throttle body clean seems to be the natural exploration but dealer would not do it under warranty of course and want $400 for the job...

I just think 480 to 500 RPMs is just too low. For me 600 is the sweet spot. On the custom tune Lew has it at 650Rpm which i don’t like. He’s going to bring it back down to 600 for me

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you open with your fingers or turned ignition on and pressed the pedal to open it?

I have cleaned the butterfly while on the engine. The back was filthy. I just opened it and wiped it down and the housing. No issues. It relearned the idle position quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz