Is the ABS system necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Gannon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My ABS and Brake light is on. Just installed new rotors and pads all around. Pulled EBCM and did the re-solder attempt. No good. Before I spend the big bucks, just wanted to ask if the ABS was really needed. 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS. 5.3l engine. 230k miles. TIA.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ABS and Brake light is on. Just installed new rotors and pads all around. Pulled EBCM and did the re-solder attempt. No good. Before I spend the big bucks, just wanted to ask if the ABS was really needed. 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS. 5.3l engine. 230k miles. TIA.
did you check your wheel hubs? if you have a bad wheel hub or wheel hub sensor the abs light will stay on also, but to answer your question, no if you pull the abs fuse your brakes will still work old school, just will have a light on the dash.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so what is the code it gives you?, if it is the abs controller then it may only give the code when the abs light is lit up

OP
OP
Steve Gannon

Steve Gannon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thje EBCM was checked and appears ok. I don't have much money in it, so don't want to spend to much on it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is only so many things that can go wrong with the abs, if the light is on there is a code, if there is no code then the fluid is low or the fluid sensor is bad or the proportioning valve is stuck. try unplugging the fluid level sensor and see if the light goes out.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
ABS isn't strictly necessary. But it's advisable to have, particularly if you've not driven a vehicle without ABS before.

As far as the issues you're having, it's advisable to look into it. Check your brake fluid level. Check the continuity of the sensor in the reservoir. Anything else you'll want a code reader as diagnosing it without would be rather labor intensive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckWild62