Is it possible that this Tahoe has 4WD/AWD? (pic of dash)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run a salvage yard. On an AWD vehicle, it either uses all the wheels or two of them and engages at need. It has a torque splitter, but not a transfer case. If it is 4WD, it has a high/low transfer case. I have 4WD on my 2000 Escalade. It works just like all the other 4X4 vehicles I've had. A little different in some details, but mostly the same. I also have an AWD Mazda CX-5. It has a torque splitter that has electric clutches to engage the rear wheels at need. It does great on ice and small amounts of snow. It will NOT handle deep snow, mud or other off road conditions like my Escalade.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your gm truck is a 4wd it is not awd. If you keep the truck in auto full time you are doing a disservice to you front differential. You are basically locking the hubs and the computer is waiting for a wheel slip to engage the transfer case this in turn puts more wear on the front hubs/differential and eats a little more gas.
Again, GM does not have an AWD k2xx they are a selectable transfer case. Kia can do what they want.
And my dealer chewed me out (strongly re-educated me) that I should leave the vehicle in 2WD unless I was on wet or slippery roads. Leaving it in Auto would cause unnecessary wear and tear on the power train.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And my dealer chewed me out (strongly re-educated me) that I should leave the vehicle in 2WD unless I was on wet or slippery roads. Leaving it in Auto would cause unnecessary wear and tear on the power train.
He’s right. I tried to impart some of that knowledge to some TYFers back when the 15’s first came out and some newbies were complaining about their t-cases “talkin to em” cuz they left it in auto 4wd all the time but they’d have none of it at the time and preferred to call the K2xx’s garbage instead. I just made mental notes to myself who the dingbats were and exited out of the thread(s) and let them enjoy their dumpster fire of moronic thoughts to themselves

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s right. I tried to impart some of that knowledge to some TYFers back when the 15’s first came out and some newbies were complaining about their t-cases “talkin to em” cuz they left it in auto 4wd all the time but they’d have none of it at the time and preferred to call the K2xx’s garbage instead. I just made mental notes to myself who the dingbats were and exited out of the thread(s) and let them enjoy their dumpster fire of moronic thoughts to themselves

My re-education was with my 08 Suburban. As much as I liked the 08 and was sorry to see her go, 15-20 Suburbans are much nicer and more solid. Far fewer problems, especially with the 17 and 19 Suburbans.

marktrafton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe LT has an Autotrac transfer case that is always in AWD. You can select high range, low range, or neutral. There is no 2WD option.

marktrafton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe is in AZ. I have attached two pictures of the dash switch that I found on two 2004 Tahoes in Autotrader. This transfer case appears to be part of the "Safe and Secure Package" for 2004.

2004 Tahoe 1.jpg 2004 Tahoe 2.jpg

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe is in AZ. I have attached two pictures of the dash switch that I found on two 2004 Tahoes in Autotrader. This transfer case appears to be part of the "Safe and Secure Package" for 2004.

View attachment 253314 View attachment 253315
Auto 4wd. Ie: it puts the vehicle onto 4wd automatically for you.

That’s different than AWD/all wheel drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe LT has an Autotrac transfer case that is always in AWD. You can select high range, low range, or neutral. There is no 2WD option.

He's right. There were some GMT800 Tahoe's that were AWD, but had a 4 Lo selection. These are rare, but this t case isn't as popular, I've researched into this before. It's a rare t case