Is it possible that this Tahoe has 4WD/AWD? (pic of dash)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the confusion lies in the fact that people don’t know the difference between 2wd, 4wd and awd.

for the sake of argument and in simplest terms.

2WD means only 2 wheels propel the vehicle.

4WD means all 4 wheels propel the vehicle when switched on via a selectable transfer case. You have an choice, 2WD, AUTO, 4HIGH or 4LOW. Some of these trucks only came with a 4 high option (Not getting into the different transfer cases)

AWD means all 4 wheels are powering the vehicle all the time, there is no choice and no selectable transfer case.
I have a AWD Kia Sorento. It powers the front wheel 100% of the time. In poor traction and on high power Ops, it distribute power to the rear wheels are well. All 4 wheels are not powered equally at all times. Often the rears are not powered at all. I have a nifty screen that showed the power bias real time. I can also lock it in 4x4. So per your definition my Sorento is not AWD. KIA says it is...

my Mitsubishi Endeavour and Dodge Durango were exactly the same (Durango was primary rear bias)

per GM, the Auto function is the same thing. Rear wheel bias with the front axle engaged and the t-case distributes power as needed. i.e. AWD. I can select 2wd, Auto (AWD) or 4x4Hi
This is essentially the same thing Chevy does with Posi-trac vs Ford using Limited Slip. Same function, different name
https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/when-to-use-four-wheel-drive

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 17 Tahoe LT is clearly marked as AWD

Have only been on some loose sand with it twice, so don't know if it's technically 4wd or AWD, but works great.
AWD or AutoFWD? Do you have a selector switch to shift from 2HI to 4HI to AutoFWD or is it full time AWD?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the confusion lies in the fact that people don’t know the difference between 2wd, 4wd and awd.

for the sake of argument and in simplest terms.

2WD means only 2 wheels propel the vehicle.

4WD means all 4 wheels propel the vehicle when switched on via a selectable transfer case. You have an choice, 2WD, AUTO, 4HIGH or 4LOW. Some of these trucks only came with a 4 high option (Not getting into the different transfer cases)

AWD means all 4 wheels are powering the vehicle all the time, there is no choice and no selectable transfer case.
The biggest confusion is a lot of people do not know the difference in Auto 4wd and AWD. I've seen a LOT of people who think their truck with Auto 4wd = AWD when, in fact, it's not the same at all.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a AWD Kia Sorento. It powers the front wheel 100% of the time. In poor traction and on high power Ops, it distribute power to the rear wheels are well. All 4 wheels are not powered equally at all times. Often the rears are not powered at all. I have a nifty screen that showed the power bias real time. I can also lock it in 4x4. So per your definition my Sorento is not AWD. KIA says it is...

my Mitsubishi Endeavour and Dodge Durango were exactly the same (Durango was primary rear bias)

per GM, the Auto function is the same thing. Rear wheel bias with the front axle engaged and the t-case distributes power as needed. i.e. AWD. I can select 2wd, Auto (AWD) or 4x4Hi
This is essentially the same thing Chevy does with Posi-trac vs Ford using Limited Slip. Same function, different name
https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/when-to-use-four-wheel-drive
If your gm truck is a 4wd it is not awd. If you keep the truck in auto full time you are doing a disservice to you front differential. You are basically locking the hubs and the computer is waiting for a wheel slip to engage the transfer case this in turn puts more wear on the front hubs/differential and eats a little more gas.
Again, GM does not have an AWD k2xx they are a selectable transfer case. Kia can do what they want.

RobH

Reaction score
FWIW, According to my 2016 Owner's Manual, there are three propulsion systems for the Tahoe.

Two Wheel Drive - that's all, 2WD rear axle only. G80 Locking differential standard.

RPO NP0 - 4 Wheel Drive - Single Speed Automatic Transfer case
2 ^ (2WD High),
AUTO (Automatic Four Wheel Drive), and,
4 ^ (4WD High, to be used when extra traction is needed)
My perception is that this selection locks the front and rear axles together.

RPO NQH - 4 Wheel Drive - Two Speed Automatic Transfer Case
Neutral (Used only when vehicle is being towed)
2^ (2WD High),
AUTO (Automatic Four Wheel Drive)
4^ (Four Wheel Drive High, to be used when extra traction is needed), and,
4 Low (Four Wheel Drive Low...delivers extra torque...) Required on 4WD vehicles with NHT (Max Trailering Package), PDP (All Season Package), Z71 (Z71 Off-Road Package), or WJP (Z71 Midnight Edition).

For AUTO the manual says "Use when road surface traction conditions are variable. When driving in AUTO, the front axle is engaged, and the vehicle's power is sent to the front and rear axles automatically based on driving conditions."

I have seen many references in GM publications of the NQH two speed transfer case being required for 4WD vehicles with the NHT Max Trailering Package for different years in the 2015-2020 range.

For South Texas mostly pavement driving, I chose 2WD for economy of operation and maintenance. I figured the standard locking rear differential was sufficient. In the past I have driven several 2WD vehicles with open differentials in mud and snow. I have had AWD-4WD vehicles also when I did regular muddy off pavement rural driving.

The RPO Codes are from a "2018 Chevrolet Truck Tahoe Retail and Fleet" Ordering Guide. I suspect they are the same for 2015 to 2020.

FWIW and YMMV. :)

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, According to my 2016 Owner's Manual, there are three propulsion systems for the Tahoe.

Two Wheel Drive - that's all, 2WD rear axle only. G80 Locking differential standard.

RPO NP0 - 4 Wheel Drive - Single Speed Automatic Transfer case
2 ^ (2WD High),
AUTO (Automatic Four Wheel Drive), and,
4 ^ (4WD High, to be used when extra traction is needed)
My perception is that this selection locks the front and rear axles together.

RPO NQH - 4 Wheel Drive - Two Speed Automatic Transfer Case
Neutral (Used only when vehicle is being towed)
2^ (2WD High),
AUTO (Automatic Four Wheel Drive)
4^ (Four Wheel Drive High, to be used when extra traction is needed), and,
4 Low (Four Wheel Drive Low...delivers extra torque...) Required on 4WD vehicles with NHT (Max Trailering Package), PDP (All Season Package), Z71 (Z71 Off-Road Package), or WJP (Z71 Midnight Edition).

For AUTO the manual says "Use when road surface traction conditions are variable. When driving in AUTO, the front axle is engaged, and the vehicle's power is sent to the front and rear axles automatically based on driving conditions."

I have seen many references in GM publications of the NQH two speed transfer case being required for 4WD vehicles with the NHT Max Trailering Package for different years in the 2015-2020 range.

For South Texas mostly pavement driving, I chose 2WD for economy of operation and maintenance. I figured the standard locking rear differential was sufficient. In the past I have driven several 2WD vehicles with open differentials in mud and snow. I have had AWD-4WD vehicles also when I did regular muddy off pavement rural driving.

The RPO Codes are from a "2018 Chevrolet Truck Tahoe Retail and Fleet" Ordering Guide. I suspect they are the same for 2015 to 2020.

FWIW and YMMV. :)
Right. It’s AUTOMATIC 4WD. Not “all wheel drive”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk