Is it just wrong to have a hybrid SUV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
The in-laws have a Saturn Outlook, so we're well informed on what the Acadia is/isn't. The wife admitted that she's considering an Enclave too. I tried to get her to look at the Acadia Denali too. As for the Explorer, I will admit that it looks nice, but the wife and I had Fords for our first cars and they both had crappy reliability which has caused us to be very hesitant to buy another. Mine was a 87 Tempo GL. Hers was a 93 ****** wagon. The biggest differences I see between the Tahoe/Yukon and the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave is that the crossover sits lower (which is why the wife likes it), but is longer, whereas the SUV is taller and shorter. However, it's her car and she can get what she wants. I'll keep getting the SUV because we need something for towing her car and to space for the pets and kid(s) due to moving every 3 years due to the wife being in the Navy Nurse Corps. Maybe I'll upgrade to a Hyhoe one day.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford has come a LONg way since then. I tell you, this explorer is the most technologically advanced vehicle in its class. Period. I effing love it!

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has come a LONg way since then. I tell you, this explorer is the most technologically advanced vehicle in its class. Period. I effing love it!

That means it calls tech support when it breaks down instead of roadside assistance lol! I kid, i kid.. Tempo and 93 ****** were the modern day Gremlin and pinto. Shouldn't have ever put those on the road.

I just drove a 2012 Taurus and I hate say it but I like it, paddle shifters and all.

All they need to do I drop some diesel engines in these big trucks and call it a day. I bet they would more efficient on hwy than the current hybrids and close to their city mpg.

Question is where do all these batteries go when it's time to scrap one?? My only issue with hybrids of any size.

Last edited:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 >

"Oh goodness, what will your Prius-driving friends think? Oh wait,
you don't have any Prius-driving friends"

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
G8 gxp > srt8

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Yes, indeed. The petroleum their plastic parts are made from oil found in the middle east instead of America.

In all seriousness, I have a hard time believing this when it was very common for the Ford Taurus front passenger window to fall off its track within a week of being delivered to my fleet and the Ford Focus fuel pump failing in the first 1500 miles. Keep in mind this was only back in 2007. The new Focus and the old Focus share a lot of stuff, including the frame.

The only Ford I'd take right now is a fully loaded Raptor. GM just doesn't compete with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Reaction score
Yep Gianni, I totally agree with you about diesels. Wish GM had them available for their SUV's. Add a chip & they would definately out=preform hybrids in mpg & power, plus you gotta love that smell!

Hybrids do have their quirks & I guess they are here to stay, but just in their infancy, they DO have a long way to go. Battery disposal, who knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn