Is it common for the oil dipstick tube to fatigue fracture?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my work truck. 6.0 escalade ESV. So I go to pull the dipstick out and it gets stuck! So I get it out and then go to reinsert and I notice that it exits the tube about six inches down right where that bracket is. So I feel around that area and sure enough the tube has fractured right there.

Any special instructions on replacing? How is it fastened at the bottom? press fit or? I haven't looked yet (obviously lol).

I'm just curious if this is a failure that you guys have seen. I've never seen this happen before on any vehicle I've worked on. The truck has 210k on it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I installed longtubes on my Denali, I had to remove the dipstick tube. (It just presses into the block by pushing it in.) While trying to reinstall it, I had a bad angle and ended up breaking it off flush with the block so in the process of trying to remove the small part that was in the block I ended up shoving it farther in until it dropped into the pan, where it was harmless since there's no way for the oil pump to suck it in past the screen. But it bugged me so eventually I pulled the pan and fished it out. I will say that you should buy the AC Delco replacement because the Dorman one I bought would not fit in the hole. Hopefully there's enough of yours to grab ahold of and pull out. It's easier if you pull the inner fender liner and wheel and go in from underneath, also there's a bolt near the exhaust manifold that secures the tube. This isn't a common failure unless the vehicle was in the rust belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2