Is AC Delco still the "standard"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a complete brake job on my old truck last year. Pads, rotors, hoses, shoes, drums, hardware. Wanted good stuff and looking for low dust pads. Went with AC Delco for all parts. Wasn't impressed with these rotors:
View attachment 389610View attachment 389611
there are lots knockoff autoparts out there especially ac delco, always try to purchase from a good source, dealer, well known store, etc
I have personally had bad luck with "standard" brand auto parts

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty time is just a game they play to make believe the part is good. They're betting most will never get returned. The only thing consistent with parts today is the color of the box and the logo, what's inside is a different story. Standard is good stuff, they're still a separate company that hasn't gotten purchased by the big groups. They are in business to make money so they do have stuff made in other countries but their quality control is good. They own other brands of ignition/electrical but their Standard 1st line brand is good stuff, they do have a 2nd line usually in green boxes instead of red. I used their plug wires exclusively when I had my shop and nothing compared for a daily driver.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a complete brake job on my old truck last year. Pads, rotors, hoses, shoes, drums, hardware. Wanted good stuff and looking for low dust pads. Went with AC Delco for all parts. Wasn't impressed with these rotors:
View attachment 389610View attachment 389611
When you see how fast they slam these thru Lathes in factories with low paid labor etc, you'd understand the last thing they are worried about is balancing the machining to the raw casting. The machine is set to cut exactly the same thing over and over, and the casting can vary, be loaded in the chuck improperly, or the chuck could be full of chips and the part is not seating in the jaws. Plus, cast iron is some of the nastiest crap out there to machine both for operator and machine itself....

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the relay I would have liked to pop the cover off and check the size of the contactor pads, new vs old. Didn't want to risk cracking the plastic and killing any warranty if it didn't work for long. Is working ok at this point.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my relay from Oreilly. If you look up either of those part numbers from the package, 9 times out of 10, you'll see a picture of an Omron relay with the number 21997408 on it. They're all the same thing functionally (21997408, 15328865, 13503103). This is the Delphi version, made in Korea. I'm not sure exactly where the Omron relays are made (still in Canada?), but I'll take Korea over China. I'll let you all know how it works out.

They have the ACD OE version of the other relays for only $8...I may replace them just because...25 years and 300,000 miles is a long time...

IMG_20230116_115041_1.jpg

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the fuel pump in my ‘96 was replaced with an aftermarket one a few years ago. An instant drop in fuel economy was noticed. Was down approximately 2MPG.

Circled back and replaced the newly installed aftermarket with OEM and the fuel economy was right back to normal.

Only confirms what @B-train eluded to…
Don’t get your hopes up if you compromise on the electrical components.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Delco stuff has gone way down in quality unfortunately, at least for the entry level stuff. I got a Delco fuel pump for my Silverado about 4 months ago because I didn't want to have to drop the tank again for years. Opened the box to find the exact same fuel pump I had just put in another vehicle which was a parts store house brand pump, right down to the paperwork that came with. Just a different box. The truck was already hard starting (after sitting overnight) again after about 2 weeks. It's still running, but I'm going to have to drop the tank again sooner or later.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Delco stuff has gone way down in quality unfortunately, at least for the entry level stuff. I got a Delco fuel pump for my Silverado about 4 months ago because I didn't want to have to drop the tank again for years. Opened the box to find the exact same fuel pump I had just put in another vehicle which was a parts store house brand pump, right down to the paperwork that came with. Just a different box. The truck was already hard starting (after sitting overnight) again after about 2 weeks. It's still running, but I'm going to have to drop the tank again sooner or later.
So discouraging to hear stuff like that. Getting more and more common.