Is AC Delco still the "standard"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy who runs his own garage says he like to use Standard (SMP) for replacement parts (vs any "store" brand for sue and others as well). I don't think he would pick them over OEM, but I'm looking at a relay and the AC Delco part (which I think a new one actually went bad on me already) is only $7 and the Standard one is $17 at O'Reilly. The prices are much closer elsewhere but Standard is still more expensive. Standard is 30amp, ACD is 35amp. Honestly, based on my first ACD (bought at Autozone with only 1 year warranty), I'm leaning toward the Standard (Limited Lifetime).

Did I just get unlucky with the first one? Or is AC Delco quality not what it once was? If they were the same price, which would you buy?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC delco has gone the way of cheapness on some parts to stay competitive. There are different levels of ACD parts, similar to Napa silver, gold, etc. I stick with GM OEM parts for items that really need to work properly - electrical comes to mind.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC delco has gone the way of cheapness on some parts to stay competitive. There are different levels of ACD parts, similar to Napa silver, gold, etc. I stick with GM OEM parts for items that really need to work properly - electrical comes to mind.
Isn't AC Delco GM OEM? I thought they were actually the same. Even at rockauto, the standard relay is more expensive. AC Delco 15-81106 vs SMP RY-604.

I see the "OEM" part listed at 21997408 and that's what's printed on the AC-Delco version. Would they be different somehow?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I stick with Genuine GM parts whenever they are available. Next would be AC Delco Gold and then professional. I think there is also a silver and advantage line mixed in there too. Hell, I don't know for sure and when you try to google it, it is a bunch of mixed up crap.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't AC Delco GM OEM? I thought they were actually the same. Even at rockauto, the standard relay is more expensive. AC Delco 15-81106 vs SMP RY-604.

I see the "OEM" part listed at 21997408 and that's what's printed on the AC-Delco version. Would they be different somehow?
There are some things where ACD is almost as good as OEM, or close to it. However, ACD does have its value line for suspension and brakes that I know of. I think most electrical things listed as ACD are actually quite good, I have living proof of that. As @OR VietVet stated, there are many 'grades' of ACD. It has confused me for years as well. If the package says Genuine OE, then you know you should be getting similar or exact of what your truck came with new.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is weird...
ACD - Autozone $6.59, 1 year warranty. Oreilly same price, limited lifetime for ACD and Standard. RockAuto $3.24 for ACD (2 year warranty), $4.81 for SMP (3 year warranty).
I think I'll just pick up the the ACD one from Oreilly. The description on it says "GM Genuine Parts".

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I hope I don't jinx myself on my ongoing, "bringing up to my standards", work I am doing on my girls 2002 TrailBlazer with 70k miles on it. I have never gotten a part out of any Genuine GM part box or any level of AC Delco box, that was bad out of the box. I have experienced that with Dorman and also Standard, when I ran shops and there are other generic parts out there that I just refuse to install. I work on rigs on the side for extra money and make no money on parts. I have told some people that I just will not install a part they handed me. Crap is crap and I stand behind my labor but not their crap parts.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with a fuel pump relay. Critical part, wanted the best, ordered the AC Delco part with the OE factory part number. What I got:

View attachment 389609
From what I searched that IS the OE factory part, sadly. Or at least it looks like it. Everything is made in China. They get an E for presentation for sure. Did the relay work okay?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a complete brake job on my old truck last year. Pads, rotors, hoses, shoes, drums, hardware. Wanted good stuff and looking for low dust pads. Went with AC Delco for all parts. Wasn't impressed with these rotors:
ac delco brake rotor.jpgac delco brake rotor b.jpg