iPod integration Review: iSimple aka PXAMG (GM5) for the 03+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did peripheral do the PXPD? Or was that originally a PAC (of shit) unit?

"iSimple" is a gimmick name for ipod integration products from PIE/PAC, not any particular unit.

Last edited:

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
I am unclear about the relationship between PAC and Peripheral. Is it possible PAC and Peripheral share some common manufacturer or some such thing?

This file (http://www.pac-audio.com/resources/PERPACX_052609.pdf) has the PAC to Peripherial product number/name cross reference. In this cross reference the iSimple name only seems to be associated with Peripheral part numbers. You'll see both the PXPD and the PXAMG in the list. I infer from the file that both companies sell essentially the exact same parts/equipment just with different names. I believe the product you installed, Eagle, could be had from PAC as product number uPAC-GM11B. If your kit was like mine, it was a control unit, an ipod cable, and then a number of vehicle specific harnesses. Each harness had its own product number. Together this combo makes a PAC product.

-B

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PAC bought out/merged with PIE in June of last year. they are both under the AAMP corporation now.

They are keeping many of the recognizable names like "iSimple" but paring down the product lists to a avoid internal competition.

They are based on similar connectors and thus wire harness, but aren't exactly the same. Don't think the uPAC-GM11b has end user upgradeable software, for one, and it doesn;t work on our NBS Tahoes as it only got 11 bit support. Installation seems to be less nice as well as it requires modifying the
the harness.

Last edited:

luckie80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have got to add that by far, the easiest and cheapest add on to a factory unit is one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469GM12AX2/Precision-Interface-Electronics-GM12-AUXv2.html?tp=1672

You can use one of these PIE units and it just plugs directly into the changer plug and then the changer plugs in the back of it. There is no loss of functionality in factory settings and you can plug anything with an RCA patch into it. For my I-Touch I also bought one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469RCAIPD/Precision-Interface-Electronics-RCA-iPD.html?tp=122

This just gives me a I-Pod connector that also adds the 5V charging ability. Both together I bought for like $100 and the install is a piece of cake.

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my PXAMG today...but i believe I was sent the wrong harness.

I think I needed the PGHGM5 harness

I was sent PGHGM1 (which is for 29-bit GM LAN) and a HONDA harness???
I thought we were Class II Data Buss system

Anyone know which one is correct for factory NAV, radio w/XM?

Thanks

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install complete.......best thing since sliced bread.....
Well worth the money I spent.....

Hardest part was removing the radio......the rest is cake.....

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad to hear that the PXAMG is working out for some but I feel compelled to relate my experience.

Installation of the PXAMG in my 2004 Yukon Denalli occurred last fall. The install was simple enough but I could not get the radio to recognize the iPod.

Every once in awhile I would try to get the iPod to work then one day, about a month after the install, the iPod suddenly was found.

This worked well for a couple months when suddenly the iPod was the only thing I could listen to. I disconnected the iPod and kept changing bands and after a while the radio came back.

Shortly after that I would get a buzz in the speakers from time to time which would go away if I hit the dash hard enough.

The buzz has gotten worse and I pulled the PXAMG out last night and now my radio sounds great and is working as expected.

Good luck if you use this device because I see it has worked for some and you might be one of the lucky ones.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you update the pxmg software? and your ipod software?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelo217