Invisacord for ****** Radar Detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just purchased an invisacord for my ****** radar detector. I have a 08 Yukon Denali. The instructions don't cover the Denali. The closest reference is the 2003+ Silverado SS with compass and auto dim mirror. For that installation the yellow pin goes to the middle yellow wire, left column and the black pin goes to the top black wire on the right column. Can anyone confirm if this is also the case for a 2008 Denali?:

OP
OP
A

ajay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those who are interested I just installed the invisicord and it works great! The wire procedures match the 08 Escalade which is listed on the invisicord web site.

Well worth the 15 bucks!

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to have not chimed in in time to help, but I took my truck to my local mechanic, and he identified (with an electrical tester) which slots in the mirror's harness were hot, ground, etc. This took all of the guess work out of it. So, for anyone else looking to add the InvisiCord (which I also recommend!), it's easy to determine which slots you should be plugging into, even if the directions don't specifically explain it.

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea

$15 may not be bad but I could make this from a phone line and $2.00 in hardware from lowes... infact, I think I will :) photos coming by Tuesday...

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$15 may not be bad but I could make this from a phone line and $2.00 in hardware from lowes... infact, I think I will :) photos coming by Tuesday...

ok i want the photos, and the write up! :)

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step 1: Cut phone cable to about 10" - this way if you mess up you still have some leeway

Step 2: Take off about 1 inch of the black rubber over the wires, but be careful not to cut the inside wires.

Step 3: The outside 2 wires don't matter, so you can go ahead and cut those off.

Step 4: Strip the middle 2 wires.

Step 5: Get a "9 or 15 position male crimp d-sub connector" at Radioshack. It comes in a little plastic baggie or a little plastic and cardboard container (really all you need are the pins) and it's in the drawers where the fuses are. You NEED the crimp kind or else you will have to solder.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103805

Step 6: If you are planning on shrink tubing, put the shrink tube over each of the small wires before you crimp on the plugs.

Step 7: Crimp one connector on each of the middle 2 wires. Heat the shrink tube to make a clean and covered connection.

Step 8: Take the harness out of the back of your rearview mirror. For reference, I refer to the bottom as the half that has the pink wire next to the green with black stripe wires in the middle two slots.

Step 9: Put one pin for the ground in the top left corner black wire(Looking at where the wires go in the plug), the other pin to the lower pink wire(switched) to the left of the green with black stripe wire.

Step 10: Plug in your radar. If it doesn't turn on, switch the pins. If you accidentally touch 2 wires and short it out, it's the compass fuse under the hood.

If you don't understand, pm me

Hopefully that picture clears it up. The top left black one, the pink one on the bottom row (4th over)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright i did all that and still nothing. i switched the pins and nothing.

the only thing i can think of is the pin size, i got the 25 pin (had laying around)
think that matters?

olemiss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those who are interested I just installed the invisicord and it works great! The wire procedures match the 08 Escalade which is listed on the invisicord web site.

Well worth the 15 bucks!

Agreed, the Invisicord is great! I have installed them in a few different vehicles now

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks steve! i finally got it to work (a while ago :)), guess i didnt pin them in far enough! ha

great write up and easy mod for cheap!