Installed MirrorTap and Blendmount Valentine One Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasdriver

Reaction score
Good morning,

I had some trouble finding exactly which mirror wires to tap on these T1 trucks for a hardwired radar detector. So I am posting what I used successfully in hopes that it helps someone in the future. The wires are the same from my 2019 Sierra Denali with rearvision camera.

Non-camera mirror here. If you gently pry off the trim cover above the mirror, there is a harness on the bottom left. Switched 12V power is in the purple wire with a white stripe. Ground is in the black wire on the far right of the harness. The trim cover popped back on pretty easily for me. YMMV. My JBV1 app tells me that the V1 is happy and gets 12V with the truck running. (Seriously, if you haven't played around with JBV1, its available on the Android app store. It's so good, I bought a standalone Pixel 2 just to run the app a few years ago.)

Have a great week.

IMG_8628.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blendmounts are great, my eyes, the v1 and waze projected on the radio are the way to roll. I personally drive way too fast to be messing around with a app I just have mine programmed to instant on and x/k band off. Been using the V1 for over 20 years, that app looks like it might be useful for Virginian's but there are stealth displays for that as well.
I bought my Blendmount a long time ago when they only had 3 versions and they were $64 I still use them one in my 12 and one in my 18

OP
OP
texasdriver

texasdriver

Reaction score
The blendmounts are great, my eyes, the v1 and waze projected on the radio are the way to roll. I personally drive way too fast to be messing around with a app I just have mine programmed to instant on and x/k band off. Been using the V1 for over 20 years, that app looks like it might be useful for Virginian's but there are stealth displays for that as well.
I bought my Blendmount a long time ago when they only had 3 versions and they were $64 I still use them one in my 12 and one in my 18
I hear you. The app is there mainly to customize how you get alerts. Just set and forget. For instance, there is a night display mode that will have the V1 dark unless there is an un-muted alert, except when there a strong signal behind you. Preventing an LEO from seeing your lit up detector in the dark. I also have a moving weather map on my display.

I have the frequency display showing, so I can better determine if Ka alerts are legit or not. I hardly even realize it's there most of the time, except for when I glance to check the freq of the alert I'm getting.

It's more of a gadget than anything, and I love gadgets!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. The app is there mainly to customize how you get alerts. Just set and forget. For instance, there is a night display mode that will have the V1 dark unless there is an un-muted alert, except when there a strong signal behind you. Preventing an LEO from seeing your lit up detector in the dark. I also have a moving weather map on my display.

I have the frequency display showing, so I can better determine if Ka alerts are legit or not. I hardly even realize it's there most of the time, except for when I glance to check the freq of the alert I'm getting.

It's more of a gadget than anything, and I love gadgets!
I rarely get false alerts on mine and around town I know where there is a couple spots that trigger KA briefly aside from those I just error on the side of caution and if waze shows any police alerts I just take into consideration they may still be in the area if they are not where they were marked. My windows are tinted and they are not illegal so if a cop can see my v1 going off from 300 ft away more power to them. The discussion of why do I have a radar detector if I don't speed has come up a couple times while getting ticketed before lol
but honestly I don't think they even notice the detector under the mirror as they are looking for them on the windshield or on the dash, no wires dangling just kind of makes it out of sight out of mind.

OP
OP
texasdriver

texasdriver

Reaction score
I rarely get false alerts on mine and around town I know where there is a couple spots that trigger KA briefly aside from those I just error on the side of caution and if waze shows any police alerts I just take into consideration they may still be in the area if they are not where they were marked. My windows are tinted and they are not illegal so if a cop can see my v1 going off from 300 ft away more power to them. The discussion of why do I have a radar detector if I don't speed has come up a couple times while getting ticketed before lol
but honestly I don't think they even notice the detector under the mirror as they are looking for them on the windshield or on the dash, no wires dangling just kind of makes it out of sight out of mind.
Do you have an V1 with the volume knob or the new V1G2? The newer one is much more susceptible to falses, because it has more sensitivity on the known Ka ranges (33.8, 34.7, 35.5). It is a great Cobra or Whistler RD detector, and can find them from hundreds of feet away.

Always nice to talk to another RD user that knows what they’re doing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have an V1 with the volume knob or the new V1G2? The newer one is much more susceptible to falses, because it has more sensitivity on the known Ka ranges (33.8, 34.7, 35.5). It is a great Cobra or Whistler RD detector, and can find them from hundreds of feet away.

Always nice to talk to another RD user that knows what they’re doing.
I have 2 of the original V1's I looked over several reviews of the 2nd version and did not see any added benefit and over 20+ years I have grown accustomed to the controls, sounds, leds, and indicators so making any change wouldn't do me any good either. I will probably run these until they no longer repair them or I am forced into something else with new leo equipment or something. Over time the v1 can and will develop issue's at least they last a good long time before needing repairs. I see you noted it had a good 12v that is critical they don't like low voltage.

OP
OP
texasdriver

texasdriver

Reaction score
I have 2 of the original V1's I looked over several reviews of the 2nd version and did not see any added benefit and over 20+ years I have grown accustomed to the controls, sounds, leds, and indicators so making any change wouldn't do me any good either. I will probably run these until they no longer repair them or I am forced into something else with new leo equipment or something. Over time the v1 can and will develop issue's at least they last a good long time before needing repairs. I see you noted it had a good 12v that is critical they don't like low voltage.
Enjoy it! You can't beat the OG V1.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enjoy it! You can't beat the OG V1.
it's paid for it's self many times over lol and I have watched guys get pulled over right in front of me because they didn't slow down, that and keeping my eyes open, I was speeding behind 2 other guys one time doing about 130, radar didn't go off but I saw a cop coming the other way and when he saw us he flipped a B right in the divider, I dipped over into traffic real quick as I saw him turning in my rear view and escaped some how because he didn't even blink twice as he flew by me. lol

OP
OP
texasdriver

texasdriver

Reaction score
it's paid for it's self many times over lol and I have watched guys get pulled over right in front of me because they didn't slow down, that and keeping my eyes open, I was speeding behind 2 other guys one time doing about 130, radar didn't go off but I saw a cop coming the other way and when he saw us he flipped a B right in the divider, I dipped over into traffic real quick as I saw him turning in my rear view and escaped some how because he didn't even blink twice as he flew by me. lol
The standard issue Mk. I EyeBall is undefeated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesertGator

Latest posts