Intermittent issue Bcm/ecm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all, I’m at my wits end with this thing. I’m having intermittent issues with my 08 Tahoe. 185k the dash will either act wonky (if I have the range device plugged in). or gauges will drop (if no range plugged in.
Codes that came up always seem to be u0140 ( lose communication to bcm) or u0100 (lost communication with ECM) that’s with range plugged in, without it those 2 pop up along with u0102 ( lost communication with transfer case controls module) and u0101 (lost communication with transmission control module)

What I’ve changed so far Is the
Ecm,Bcm. Negative battery cable, mega fuse, battery (bad battery) , terminal resistor under the spare. I’ve taken off the abs module under the car and put diaelectric grease on it

Yesterday it acted up, plugged the range in while I was still driving and it acted normal. Then I unplugged it and it was fine till I got home

Any leads would be appreciated

ScottTheEngineer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same problem just fixed yesterday. Under the lower fuse box between the 12vbattery and the radiator is the ECM. connected to that is a blue multipin cable connector. Cable has 16 #22 wires in it. The cable routes straight down across the frame and into everywhere else. My frame had rubbed through the cable insulation and about 6 wires. The battery positive voltage wire (Red/Wht) was shorting to the frame. Several others were rusting out. I imagine if you did the ECM already You would have seen it but doesn't hurt to check.
Good Luck!!
TahoeHybridEcmCable.jpeg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same problem just fixed yesterday. Under the lower fuse box between the 12vbattery and the radiator is the ECM. connected to that is a blue multipin cable connector. Cable has 16 #22 wires in it. The cable routes straight down across the frame and into everywhere else. My frame had rubbed through the cable insulation and about 6 wires. The battery positive voltage wire (Red/Wht) was shorting to the frame. Several others were rusting out. I imagine if you did the ECM already You would have seen it but doesn't hurt to check.
Good Luck!!
View attachment 388798
ANd9GcQyMKCIFZMnBsVgMYbTXZzEv9HSP0JyXKu8ZFwKZ1w6&s.jpg

OP
OP
George Owens

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Luck!!
View attachment 388798
What year is your car? And are you like under the car? And you was getting the same codes?

ScottTheEngineer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had several different U-codes. Engine was shutting off randomly.
The wiring is accessed from underneath the 2009 tahoe hybrid. The hybrid stuff is all on passenger side of motor. Remove bunny thumper and it's on the driver side just behind radiator over frame
I fixed it with sealing butt splice connectors and wrapped the shit out of it with several different layers of electrical tape.
The pic shows where I isolated the rub through wires with a small piece of tape before sealing.

Attachments

• 20230103_174924.jpg
    20230103_174924.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
George Owens

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, mines was more up top but I’m guessing that’s where you saw rubbing at, I don’t think I would have that issue seeing as thought everything is covered with wire protectors but itEA2883A0-2A96-4CF9-A93B-78F17DC12FDE.jpeg’s still worth a look

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey George, your video this morning popped up in my youtube feed, I thought you were sliding there for a second!

I am looking at the wiring diagram for the cluster, the gauges to the ECM, there is a Dark Green wire and a Brown and White wire that you might want to check. But that doesn't explain the door locks so I came across the Red and White wire from Fuse 46 (J4 or X4) that goes to your cluster (Pin1). There may be a problem with the pins on the fuse, the circuit board itself or a wiring issue or nothing at all and I'm wrong. Tracing wiring problems is not something I'm good at.

For the Door Locks, they get a signal from that Dark Green wire too, that is the LAN network so maybe there's something wrong with that wire or the connection at either end.
1674854040238.png
Can y'all see this diagram? I see it during edit but not after saving and posting. OK, Fless, I used another diagram and the Snipping Tool.

The GMLAN Dark Green wire in this diagram goes to the ECM.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey George, your video this morning popped up in my youtube feed, I thought you were sliding there for a second!

I am looking at the wiring diagram for the cluster, the gauges to the ECM, there is a Dark Green wire and a Brown and White wire that you might want to check. But that doesn't explain the door locks so I came across the Red and White wire from Fuse 46 (J4 or X4) that goes to your cluster (Pin1). There may be a problem with the pins on the fuse, the circuit board itself or a wiring issue or nothing at all and I'm wrong. Tracing wiring problems is not something I'm good at.

For the Door Locks, they get a signal from that Dark Green wire too, that is the LAN network so maybe there's something wrong with that wire or the connection at either end.

na-gc-2075089_svg

Can y'all see this diagram? I see it during edit but not after saving and posting.
The image isn't coming through for me, James.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14