Intake manifold repair help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that from the heater hose fitting at the intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Is that from the heater hose fitting at the intake?

Close! I thought I'd popped the intake gasket, but it was one of the heater control valve hoses.

I'm not sure about the steam from the tailpipe. It runs great, good response and power. Stand for awhile, then stopped. Not sure if it's going to keep doing it, only time will tell. I did use compressed air in the engine to try and blow the coolant out. Maybe that somehow got it into the exhaust?

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
What I don't get use that I didn't have any steam coming from the tailpipe before I changed the intake gasket. How do I tell if it's intake vs heads?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember when I replaced both heads on my 99 burb I didn't steam and I had mine apart for a week waiting on my heads. The only way water can get into your cylinders is a leaky gasket. I don't see how it would be your heads or head gaskets, you didn't mess with them. I don't remember if the plastic upper intake had any water passages that could have cracked during install or removal, but my guess is a gasket is leaking. Did you use sealant on your intake bolt threads? There are a couple that thread into a water passage.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
If I remember when I replaced both heads on my 99 burb I didn't steam and I had mine apart for a week waiting on my heads. The only way water can get into your cylinders is a leaky gasket. I don't see how it would be your heads or head gaskets, you didn't mess with them. I don't remember if the plastic upper intake had any water passages that could have cracked during install or removal, but my guess is a gasket is leaking. Did you use sealant on your intake bolt threads? There are a couple that thread into a water passage.

That's what I'm hoping concerning the heads. That they aren't the issue. Just wasn't sure if I should take the time to address any future issues while I'm that far into it.

I used new fel pro bolts that had sealant on them already.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I asked before, but did you confirm that the intake manifold bolts held torque after the sequence? It took me going through the sequence about 5 times before they wouldn't tighten any further.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
I know I asked before, but did you confirm that the intake manifold bolts held torque after the sequence? It took me going through the sequence about 5 times before they wouldn't tighten any further.

Without taking anything off! I was only able to get to half of them. They were all to spec.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's the 4 in the rear that would be my main concern. That is where the water flows.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions...

Did you put a small bead (4mm) of adhesive between the gasket tab and block at all four corners...

55BE8DCC-717D-4DF1-B008-A558AB5291B4_zpspx6asscv.gif

Spec calls for the sealant bead along the block to overlap the top of the intake gasket by 1/2".

ACF168BB-A0A7-4185-8918-C9034FB4C8BA_zpsq4yptqpw.jpg

311D1AF6-5C2B-4885-962A-0DF32092315D_zpsriu6yix3.gif

44FF0751-B19B-4D42-B2B2-6D66A05F8FF6_zpsuxibseio.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo