intake made mpg worse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Hamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well seeing all these intake threads i wanted to ask a question about mine. i bought a ebay one a while back and put it on the day it got here. it came with a black metal tubing, some red knock off filter, and a heatshield.

i swear my mpg has went down. is this possible or is it because im driving it different from the sound?

i probably need to pick up a k&n filter but i just have another project at the moment.

OP
OP
S

Sam Hamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like 5 months ago. my sending unit has been broke ever since so i just fill up every few days but i swear the mpg are horrible ever since i got it. but then again i got the 26s round the same time so that may be the issue.

rigo_jones

going against
Reaction score
u could reset the ecu. that will reset setting and recognized the intake. also check for any air leaks around the intake couplings after your maf sensor oh and clean it.

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like 5 months ago. my sending unit has been broke ever since so i just fill up every few days but i swear the mpg are horrible ever since i got it. but then again i got the 26s round the same time so that may be the issue.

The 26's are wrecking your gas mileage. Its not the intake, of this, I am sure.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
26's it is. Brakes will go MUCH faster also. That is a lot of rolling mass. Big wheels are heavy. I bet a 26" rim with tire is as heavy or maybe even more so than my 17" with a 35". Just a guess, never actually looked at a wheel over 17" before.

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big issue with rims that big is the mechanical advantage is so much worse than stock. Standard 17in rim and tire is about 31 inches, with a 26" rim its between 33 and 36" depending on the tire. Thats around 1 to 3 inches of extra advantage lost to the taller tire. It may not sound like much but when your dealing with 6k lbs, it really adds up. If I did my math right, I want to say you give up, up to, an extra 20% of advantage the mechanical advantage to the wheels.

Last edited:

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets not skip the obvious....
When we get CAI and Exhaust, we like people to hear our trucks...so we make sure they DO! lol...thats the main killer for us..but yes, the 26s are bad for mpg as well..

I'm better your city mpg is horrible...but your freeway mpg is not too bad... because we hot rod our trucks around town mostly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo