Installed my AVIC tonight...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love it. Great unit. X930BT btw.

A few notes:

PAC OS-4 includes an antenna adapter. Who knew?

PAC SWI-PS is just as much of a bit*h as it was the last time I programmed one. Got pissed off with it and packed it in for a later time, and now I see the note that says when connected to an OS-4 to not hold the source button down for more than once second or the SWI-PS goes into an alternate mode.

My Scosche (sp?) dash kit didn't come in today and I wasn't going to wait until Monday to do the install so I dropped by the local stereo shop and dropped $20 on a Metra kit...do not want. Will be removing the Metra one when the Scosche one comes in and seeing if its better. The opening in the Metra one is about 1/8th of an inch too wide and my AVIC will only slide to the left, not center itself. It also protrudes from the dash about 1/8th of an inch on that side (the right) and is extremely annoying. I have an idea that this might be due to the clearance behind the unit and all the wires which brings me to my next point...

There isn't much room back there. When I take it out to swap dash kits I am going to take a dremel and cut a lot of plastic back there to make room to stash wires, it worries me having them all crammed back there. Save yourself the hurt and do this before time.

Oh, and also, pay attention to the way the two bottom parts of the dash below the HU are attached to eachother when you dissassemble them...I still dont have mine right, and the panel that my parking sensors/power outlets are on protrudes about 1/16" past the AC controls panel.

I'll give it another hurrah Monday and hopefully address these issues, but I do love the unit itself. The GPS seems fine to me and the sound difference in the Bose speakers is astounding. Thank god I have my USB/iPod capabilities back. Oh and the Bluetooth works great! Loud and clear!

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChrisAU;342163 There isn't much room back there. When I take it out to swap dash kits I am going to take a dremel and cut a lot of plastic back there to make room to stash wires said:
I dremeled the plastic behind my avic 120bt. It does not even give an extra inch. Pioneer website states this unit willnot even fit our trucks.
You just bolt on the ac control than bolt on the lower panel. They are not attached; just have the 2 tabs that overlay. Mine also pokes out about 1/16" so I am guessing this is normal.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bottom piece sticks out a little too. I thought mariner it may need a little fine tuning but maybe that is just the way it is.

OP
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm taking it out Monday, bought a dremel today, going to remove a lot of plastic back there so I don't have to "stuff" everything back there. I'm pretty sure those two pieces were flush before I took them apart.

OP
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so tonight I'm explaining to the better half how I have to tear it down again this week to program the SWI-PS and I go to demonstrate how the steering wheel controls don't work andddd the volume up/down worked. Later in the night I tried doing it, and nothing. WTF?

OP
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Tore it back down tonight, all is well in the world! Man a dremel sure is a wonderful tool, wish I would have had one when I was 16. My '92 Silverado with 350k miles would have been epic ha!

Also added a backup cam, ordered a Jensen JCAM1 Sunday night from Sonic Electronics and it came in today. It was cheap, but the picture quality is actually very good, I am very pleased with it. It was a b*itch getting the wires to the rear though, had to be very careful how I went under the truck.

DarinM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ChrisAU, I've been watching this thread since I'm looking to upgrade the same system in my wife's Yukon XL Denali with the Bose system.
question for you... Did you bypass the in console Bose amp and Sub leaving just the door/pillar speakers ? Or did you tie into the Bose amp system ?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well was it like that before??? I thought it was flush?

It was flush with stock radio. I have been wanting to tear it back apart and see if I can get it to line up better but have not had the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC Burbalade

Latest posts