Well Tach gave me a heart attack tonight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the wife is the main driver of the Tahoe. My old Ford is my work truck, and I drive the Tahoe on weekends.
So she says about an hour ago, " hey I ordered us the appetizer basket from the restaurant up the road." Fair enough so I hop in the Tahoe and immediately the low fuel light is apparent at dusk. Well damn, gotta fill up always she runs this thing low. So I get to the traffic light a block from the gas station and I notice the tach is at 300-400rpm...damn I'm out of fuel and it is trying to die on me in traffic. Green light and I baby the throttle... okay I'm good. More throttle so I can coast if I need to.... get to pump and put it in park. Huh. Odd. Fill it up and she is still idling at about 400...what the hell..
Get home and throw the scanner on it, and idle is 575-600.... dash is 400... damn it. So the tach is taking a dump, maybe I'll get a cool looking background for the next one.1000010279.jpg I would ask her how long it has been that way, but she doesn't pay enough attention to that stuff. Hell, she didn't know the bubblegum man was on till I asked how long he had been lit.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the wife is the main driver of the Tahoe. My old Ford is my work truck, and I drive the Tahoe on weekends.
So she says about an hour ago, " hey I ordered us the appetizer basket from the restaurant up the road." Fair enough so I hop in the Tahoe and immediately the low fuel light is apparent at dusk. Well damn, gotta fill up always she runs this thing low. So I get to the traffic light a block from the gas station and I notice the tach is at 300-400rpm...damn I'm out of fuel and it is trying to die on me in traffic. Green light and I baby the throttle... okay I'm good. More throttle so I can coast if I need to.... get to pump and put it in park. Huh. Odd. Fill it up and she is still idling at about 400...what the hell..
Get home and throw the scanner on it, and idle is 575-600.... dash is 400... damn it. So the tach is taking a dump, maybe I'll get a cool looking background for the next one.View attachment 422876 I would ask her how long it has been that way, but she doesn't pay enough attention to that stuff. Hell, she didn't know the bubblegum man was on till I asked how long he had been lit.

That cluster had new stepper motors yet?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get home and throw the scanner on it, and idle is 575-600.... dash is 400... damn it. So the tach is taking a dump, maybe I'll get a cool looking background for the next one.View attachment 422876 I would ask her how long it has been that way, but she doesn't pay enough attention to that stuff. Hell, she didn't know the bubblegum man was on till I asked how long he had been lit.
that's one thing I taught the wife is to pay attention to the gauges..., all of the vehicles we have bought have been from well out of town so I have made it a point to have her watch the gauges while driving them home, seems to have worked I get notified if anything is going on.
my money is on front impact sensor or passenger presence sensor, the latter is usually a broken wire under the seat.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's one thing I taught the wife is to pay attention to the gauges..., all of the vehicles we have bought have been from well out of town so I have made it a point to have her watch the gauges while driving them home, seems to have worked I get notified if anything is going on.
my money is on front impact sensor or passenger presence sensor, the latter is usually a broken wire under the seat.
Driver front impact sensor. Just haven't been in the mood to lay on the cold ground to swap it out. Another couple weeks and I will probably get it done. I've got a tool tray full of good used ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts