Increase Rear Ride Height: 2005 Escalade ESV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bajajoaquin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was looking for information on how to raise the rear ride height on my '05 Escalade ESV, and I saw it suggested to come here as the knowledge is pretty deep.

I just picked the truck up this weekend, and it's a 6-liter AWD model with the air rear suspension. I'd like to have it ride a little higher, like the stock ride height of a Suburban or Yukon XL 4x4. I see that I can crank the torsion bars up a bit to get another inch or so on the front, but I haven't been able to find anything on how to adjust the rear.

The reason behind it is that it's going to be going with me to Mexico on a surf trip later this year. It's dirt roads, but it's Mexican dirt roads, so there are regularly places where the road is washed out, and the locals have made a diversion around the washout. It's not super rough, but the truck is a little too low for my comfort right now, especially without skid plates. It's not low range rock crawling (no low range), but there are some bits I'd like an additional margin to clear.

(Speaking of which, if I scour junk yards, will Suburban/Yukon XL skid plates fit my Escalade?)

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I'm not familiar with the 05 suspension system, but if it contains an automatic level control (ALC) feature, you could recalibrate your ALC after cranking up your front torsion bars, and the rear should lift to match the lift in the front. You will need a bi-directional scanner tool like a Tech 2 to perform the ALC recalibration.

OP
OP
B

bajajoaquin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s good info, thanks. That may work well for me, as im not looking for a “lift,” exactly, just a little more ride height.

Also, I kept looking into it and I think that Z71 Suburban springs may also be a good option. That may be more effort than I’m looking for.

I’m not sure what the technical details of the rear suspension is, but it has the air shocks for load leveling. I’ll have to look up more details to understand it better.

Yes, I plan on being around here a bit. I’ll be replacing the passenger side CV assembly coming up and also the sway bar links. I’ve read that an easy upgrade for brakes is to swap third gen rotors so I’ll be asking about that stuff too!

Here’s the Suburbilade by the coast after getting new shoes on Monday. D125D090-78C5-4786-BD54-5F83D54D905C.jpeg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear springs are made to work with the air shocks, giving you the smoothest ride possible. If you replace those springs with Suburban springs from a non-air shock suspension, those springs will be stiffer, and hence your ride will be stiffer.

OP
OP
B

bajajoaquin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ahh. Good point, thank you.

Probably means I’ll just leave it as-is unless the adjustment mentioned above is a workable option

TChas999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd like a little more height too, as it rides a little low in back when I tow my boat. The air shocks definitely lift it, but my hitch drop is a little too steep. Could always change the hitch I guess....

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the front it's a simple matter of cranking the keys and then getting a front end alignment.

I've never personally messed with the air suspension on this model truck, but I know on others I've messed with it is often as simple as making an extension for an arm that articulates to detect ride height. If that is so you could put a 1" spacer under the rear springs and make a 1" extension for said level sensor arm. Usually as simple as a little flat aluminum stock and a couple bolts per side.

To answer the question on your skid plates, I feel very confident the answer is yes. Not an absolute certainty, but 98% sure.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I'd like a little more height too, as it rides a little low in back when I tow my boat. The air shocks definitely lift it, but my hitch drop is a little too steep. Could always change the hitch I guess....
You wouldnt change the hitch just the receiver.Instead of the usually 1 or 2 inch drop take ball off and make it a 1 or 2 inch rise thats what i did.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The receiver is the part on the truck, the hitch is what goes into the receiver.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bajajoaquin nice looking Escalade! Absolutely love the GMT800 platform eskys and definitely love the long bodies more! I may be slightly biased though since I own a long body GMT800 lol. Hopefully you got the air ride suspension thing worked out?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17