I'm Bored so I bought this..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bill D

Bill D

Reaction score
Lol, no kidding. Nice piece of hardware.

So to update.. I went at it tonight with the Launch scanner on the Tahoe. Using the Bluetooth VCM (wireless is sweet) and the tablet I scanned through every subsystem; and used every function within each subsystem such as cycling windows, mirrors, seats, heaters, lumbar, radio, lights, locks, cluster (each tell tale light, all at once), hatch up/down, to the brakes, ABS Auto bleed, ABS Solenoids, Engine- Throttle relearn, some fuel trim relearn function, cant recall which, Fans 1, 2, 3 relays, Battery, charging system and so on. Most of these functions graph some parameter simultaneously with their operation.

Did some moderately tricky stuff like turning each of the the injectors individually on and off, upping and reducing the idle significantly, and more scary stuff such as deactivating each AFM Cylinder 1 at a time (they don't all respond the same to individual deactivation) and finally some SIR test functions I wont mess with from now on.

The real benefits I see from having this tool available is that if you encounter a drive ability or electrical issue you can track down the suspect component quickly. The ability to graph over 15 outputs simultaneously has to make solving complex or elusive problems easier.

Too many other simple functions to cover such as programming keys, VIN flashing Body control modules, ECM's, clusters, Airbags, and all the actuation functions and sensor learning to mention. From a simpler perspective I was really impressed that you can even determine how many times the oil has been changed over the life of the vehicle or number of minutes, or cycles since a DTC was cleared.

My Dad used to shake his head at times at the things that used to impress me and say "you are easily amused", SO true! Also, Im 99% sure I wont damage anything in the tinkering process but there's still that 1% chance cause Im no ASE certified driveway mechanic..yet.

All in all a fun tool to use, and it should begin to pay for itself this weekend when I take it with me used car shopping for my daughter. Next step after we find her a vehicle is using the tool to hunt for a GOOD $3,000 - $5,000 2009/10 328i X drive that I can fix by using this tool. Not sure how long it will take, but that's my current dream or delusion... will find out soon.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So to update.. I went at it tonight with the Launch scanner on the Tahoe. Using the Bluetooth VCM (wireless is sweet) and the tablet I scanned through every subsystem; and used every function within each subsystem such as cycling windows, mirrors, seats, heaters, lumbar, radio, lights, locks, cluster (each tell tale light, all at once), hatch up/down, to the brakes, ABS Auto bleed, ABS Solenoids, Engine- Throttle relearn, some fuel trim relearn function, cant recall which, Fans 1, 2, 3 relays, Battery, charging system and so on. Most of these functions graph some parameter simultaneously with their operation.

Did some moderately tricky stuff like turning each of the the injectors individually on and off, upping and reducing the idle significantly, and more scary stuff such as deactivating each AFM Cylinder 1 at a time (they don't all respond the same to individual deactivation) and finally some SIR test functions I wont mess with from now on.

The real benefits I see from having this tool available is that if you encounter a drive ability or electrical issue you can track down the suspect component quickly. The ability to graph over 15 outputs simultaneously has to make solving complex or elusive problems easier.

Too many other simple functions to cover such as programming keys, VIN flashing Body control modules, ECM's, clusters, Airbags, and all the actuation functions and sensor learning to mention. From a simpler perspective I was really impressed that you can even determine how many times the oil has been changed over the life of the vehicle or number of minutes, or cycles since a DTC was cleared.

My Dad used to shake his head at times at the things that used to impress me and say "you are easily amused", SO true! Also, Im 99% sure I wont damage anything in the tinkering process but there's still that 1% chance cause Im no ASE certified driveway mechanic..yet.

All in all a fun tool to use, and it should begin to pay for itself this weekend when I take it with me used car shopping for my daughter. Next step after we find her a vehicle is using the tool to hunt for a GOOD $3,000 - $5,000 2009/10 328i X drive that I can fix by using this tool. Not sure how long it will take, but that's my current dream or delusion... will find out soon.
Sounds like an awesome tool to have. Lol, can't imagine what a dealer will think when you hook that up to the obd!

OP
OP
Bill D

Bill D

Reaction score
Do it during the test drive... I like to go park somewhere and really crawl all over the vehicle.

I have a buddy who goes to the Dealer auctions and he says some of them allow you to hook up scanners to the vehicles before they go on the block

OP
OP
Bill D

Bill D

Reaction score
Im getting bored again...Three vehicles bidirectionally scanned this week and found nothing wrong with them. Unless one of my vehicles starts developing a problem real soon I will be forced to start looking for someone else to help! The possibilities...

Hummmm ...maybe volunteering to help Ladies in distress at the local State emissions check station??? Now that form of chivalry would increase your chances of meeting that special someone way way more than eharmony, Bumble, Anomo combined.

Oops.. forgot not 20 anymore. Better to focus on helping friends and neighbors.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting bored again...Three vehicles bidirectionally scanned this week and found nothing wrong with them. Unless one of my vehicles starts developing a problem real soon I will be forced to start looking for someone else to help! The possibilities...

Hummmm ...maybe volunteering to help Ladies in distress at the local State emissions check station??? Now that form of chivalry would increase your chances of meeting that special someone way way more than eharmony, Bumble, Anomo combined.

Oops.. forgot not 20 anymore. Better to focus on helping friends and neighbors.

If you are bored, you can buy me one... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518