I'm about to buy a 2018 Tahoe Premier, please give me your insight!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karallam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 Tahoe premier on hold that I'm supposed to pick up Monday. This will be my first Tahoe. I just wanted to run it by all you before I pulled the trigger. Attached is the listing.

I test drove it today and it was nice. The 2 things I notice were
-Wireless charging pad didn't seem to work. Maybe it's finicky?
-The driver door elbow rest seems to have been pushed on hard and now if I put weight on it, I can see it pulling away from the door and the white clips show. When I'm not touching it, it looks normal.
Fixable?

Should I tell the dealer to fix these issues before I buy? It seems like a good deal and will probably sell very fast so I may need to deal with these issues on my own.

Also it seems like the market is definitely starting to correct. And I'm in no need to buy now, just excited to get one! Anyone think the prices will get much lower in the next few months?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The wireless charging I could live without but that armrest should be fixed and remind them it is a "certified" vehicle and that should be taken care of or money off for you to deal with it. I am always willing to walk away from any rig that is for sale.

Welcome to the forum.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The arm rest should be repaired, the charging pad can be finicky depending on the size of the phone, you get a much faster charge from your plug in charger. Carfax looks good and the oil changes were done on a regular basis. No major repairs listed. Look at the 172 point inspection sheet which they are required to give you as a CPO and make sure everything was done, two key fobs, owners manual, reconditioning, ect. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 Tahoe premier on hold that I'm supposed to pick up Monday. This will be my first Tahoe. I just wanted to run it by all you before I pulled the trigger. Attached is the listing.

-The driver door elbow rest seems to have been pushed on hard and now if I put weight on it, I can see it pulling away from the door and the white clips show. When I'm not touching it, it looks normal.
Fixable?

Should I tell the dealer to fix these issues before I buy? It seems like a good deal and will probably sell very fast so I may need to deal with these issues on my own.

Also it seems like the market is definitely starting to correct. And I'm in no need to buy now, just excited to get one! Anyone think the prices will get much lower in the next few months?

Seems to have been well maintained.

I would have the incident on the body damage [even though it said minor] checked out by a body shop or a real good independent mechanic. I would have a good independent mechanic check it out anyway from top to bottom just to be sure everything was good.

I would not bring it home unless your concerns on the elbow rest was addressed as you will not be happy on those very long road trips.

Try to get a extended warranty till 120K miles just to be safe.

Your dealer gets mixed reviews but for the most part were good so getting them to address your concerns [before taking it home] hopefully will not be a issue.

All that is just me.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything looks very good on the vehicle, however I have not been one to buy a vehicle with a bad carfax report. This was in an accident and was reported, which is a black mark on the vehicle. If you ever decide to trade it in, the dealer will beat you up on this for price. Are the discounting the price because of this? I would try and find one with a clean carfax for peace of mind because who knows what minor really means, just my opinion

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing 75K miles in Michigan, check the underneath of the Tahoe really close. Salt in that snow belt can be ******. 7000 miles oil changes, not terrible but not what I'd want to see. And a lot of unknown service issues according to the Carfax. Just me, but I'd probably pass on it.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

Fixable?

The wireless charger is a common issue with those models, my wife's 2017 tahoe had to get the module replaced. Have them fix it

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pass on it too. 7k+ miles on oil changes. I would be afraid of AFM issues later on.
12k on the warranty isn't that great either. Why not cover it tothe vehicle hitting 100k?

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Premier is good, Premier with 6.2 is better.....2018 5.3 for 40K seems kinda high, but that's been normal. Here in CA I'm seeing SUV prices (along with RE) crashing with rising rates, recession looming and gas sticking at $5.50 a gallon.
I just got an 2015 Escalade 2WD, 70K miles for $30K. Initially the dealer wouldn't budge so I walked away and he called back an hour later and said OK. He had so many SUVs and 2500 trucks on the lot it was kinda scary. And 3 TRX's trucks that he was pushing hard. I checked the MPG on the TRX dash and it was 6MPG LOL. Yeah I need that. LOL. If you can wait, I would wait 6 months and where prices are.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not get a Escalade instead. I bought a 2018 for $55k last January with 48k miles and Cadillac Care good for 100k miles. Do not buy anything less than a 2018 with the 10 speed. The 2018 & 2023 has the same power train.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442