illuminated running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
What rhyme or reason causes the power boards to turn the light strip on? Seems like sometimes I open the door and they turn on and sometimes they don't...what gives?

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have them on my Denali and they turn on everytime the boards are activated, now if itis daytime they are pretty hard to see.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ambient light level. They don't turn on in daylight, at least not on my vehicle.

OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
I was fooling around with them in my garage last night and this morning and only once did they turn on. I'm not sure whats going on. I didnt see anything in the menu settings for light options

OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
Ambient light level. They don't turn on in daylight, at least not on my vehicle.
I tried turning my garage lights off this morning as it was dark out. The lights didnt turn on. Now I already had the door open so maybe I'll try that test again starting from dark conditions and a closed door

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a thread about this issue a few months ago. Agreed that the lights coming on or not coming on does not seem to follow any logic. Remote Start will turn them on. I have not seen them work the way that would make sense to me, that is, when it is dark if I open the door, the lights should come on. Not complicated but that is not how it works. Mine is a 2022 Denali.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a thread about this issue a few months ago. Agreed that the lights coming on or not coming on does not seem to follow any logic. Remote Start will turn them on. I have not seen them work the way that would make sense to me, that is, when it is dark if I open the door, the lights should come on. Not complicated but that is not how it works. Mine is a 2022 Denali.
After having this thing a while; I think I have figured out the logic:

Assuming ambient light level low enough, They come on with an unlock command, either from the fob or the button on the door, if the vehicle has been off. Even if it wasn’t locked.

They come on if you open the door the first time after turning the vehicle off, assuming the ambient light level is low.

They do not turn on on any opening the door…or on walk up when the interior lights turn on to welcome you. Just the first time after a shutoff.

Not saying this does or doesn’t make sense; just what has been observed.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 21 they work very logically. if it is dusk to dark, click and button like unlock or remote start, they come on. If its daylight they don't. Fob driven, not presence driven.

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love if they turned on as you approach at night with the fob in your pocket. Miss that from my Lexus. I've also noticed that my headlamps will shut off as soon as I park and shut off the engine, then turn back on when I open my door. Very weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods