Ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knowsknone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is on a 1995 Tahoe 4wd.
Its got 159k on it. Never had any problems with it,

Alright. Mysteriously one day not long ago my truck decided to not want to start. I've messed with everything possible outside the actual ignition switch inside the cab. When I turn over the engine nothing happens. When I let off, sometimes it starts. Sometimes just turning the key normally it fires right up. Sometimes neither happens and I'm stuck frustrated and looking like an idiot sitting there turning my truck over for ten minutes.

I've talked to many people locally about this. I even called my father. Everyone gives a different solution. One says it's timing. The distributor might be off a tooth. One says it's the starter solenoid, the power wired for the coil is dirty. Another said I need to shoot some graphite in the key hole. Another said all the above and I probably should replace my ignition switch.

I'm not sure what I should do. This problem just randomly happened. Hopped in one day and nothing,

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Distributors don't just jump a tooth, who ever said that you need to disregard what ever they say in the future. I would check the electrical at the starter, get yourself a multimeter and learn how to use it. Replace the cables if they look bad, corroded or don't test right. When was the last tune up?? Could be a coil, wire, cap, rotor issue ...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
when you say nothing happens you mean the engine will crank but no fire off correct?

if so do not turn the key off and look at your gauge cluster. if your gauge cluster lights up and voltage shows up your ignition switch is providing power to the ignition system and ecm and fuel injectors. it is possible to have a wire break before it reaches the components but that test will help to eliminate a lot of stuff.

and the graphite in the keyhole is a crock.

OP
OP
K

Knowsknone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I spent a could hours troubleshooting.
Wiggling wires, probing with test lights and a multimeter. I think I figured it out..

Now, I know a distributor jumping a tooth is not possible, but say when one takes it out and puts it back in a little off. I've been doing a lot of work to my Tahoe. Tune up was done right before this started happening.

Anyways. I ultimately bumped timing a couple degrees advance which helped a ton with starting. Instead of a few minutes of cranking its down to 15 seconds to 20.
Not satisfied I kept looking for another issue. Grabbed up the multimeter again and started testing grounds for excessive resistance.
Low and behold the ground to the block wasn't in the best location. I measured from the intake to the battery around 16ohms. Moved the cable from its original position to a bracket close by on the manifold, bam 1ohm.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
K

Knowsknone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems that way. I haven't had any issues starting it all day. I've let it sit a few hours to cool off and went out and tried it and fired right up.
I'm a little surprised and relieved.
I feel like an idiot though, I should've checked the battery cables first. So instead of spending the past week fighting with my truck and having people constantly gather around me offering to fix my truck for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnbri512

Latest posts