Ignition Coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm new. just bought a '96 Tahoe. *loves*

I'm giving it a tune up and did plugs/wires already.

I also bought an MSD Blaster coil to put on. I haven't gotten that finished yet. I began the sugery then got rained out... but honestly I'm not sure HOW to get the old one off? I had taken off the 2 flange nuts behind it and that seemed to accomplish nothing at all. LOL... didn't even wiggle a little.

I was searching the forum for some pics or how to's and this post is what I found. I won't be able to get under the hood for another week or so, but maybe you all can help me "think" my way threw it a little?

Is the coil bracket the skinny one that bends up-around the distributor and plug wires towards the firewall OR is it the more massive looking "plate" that seems to cover the back half of the engine?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

i did this myself not too long ago. entire msd set up on 96 2 door. to get the stock coil off you have to either grind off the metal pieces or use a hammer and flathead screwdriver. i used a hammer and flat head screw driver and it worked fine. the msd coil should come with screws and a nut to bolt up the new coil. heres a pic of my set up!
IMAG0044.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm new. just bought a '96 Tahoe. *loves*

I'm giving it a tune up and did plugs/wires already.

I also bought an MSD Blaster coil to put on. I haven't gotten that finished yet. I began the sugery then got rained out... but honestly I'm not sure HOW to get the old one off? I had taken off the 2 flange nuts behind it and that seemed to accomplish nothing at all. LOL... didn't even wiggle a little.

I was searching the forum for some pics or how to's and this post is what I found. I won't be able to get under the hood for another week or so, but maybe you all can help me "think" my way threw it a little?

Is the coil bracket the skinny one that bends up-around the distributor and plug wires towards the firewall OR is it the more massive looking "plate" that seems to cover the back half of the engine?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

:welcome: There should be a third fastener holding down the bracket and you will have the undo the big wire harness clips as well.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the MSD coil and see how u gotta drill out the rivets to get the old one out and bolt the new one in, so im looking at it and it looks to be easier to un-bolt the bracket the coil is in take it out and drill it out and install the new coil then bolt it back in, but I can't get to the bolt to loosen it up, theres a metal line in the way maybe a fuel line? and a couple other things in the way, is there an easy way to get the bracket out or not? and this is for a 95 too

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Your Vehicle: 1995 Chevy Truck Tahoe 4WD V8-350 5.7L VIN K TBI

Vehicle » Powertrain Management » Ignition System » Ignition Coil » Service and Repair
icon_note_blank.gif
Notes Service and Repair

Coil Replacement

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
Make sure the ignition switch is "OFF."

1. Wiring connectors at the side of the ignition coil.
  2. Coil wire.
  3. Nut and bolt holding the coil bracket and coil to the engine intake manifold.
  4. Coil bracket and coil.

• Drill and punch out two rivets holding the coil to the bracket.

1. Ignition coil from the bracket.
INSTALL OR CONNECT
A replacement ignition coil kit comes with two screws to attach the coil to the bracket.

1. Coil to the bracket with two screws.
  2. Coil bracket to the engine manifold with a bolt and nut. Tighten Bolt to 23 Nm (17 lbs. ft.). Nut to 33 Nm (24 lbs. ft.).
  3. Coil wire.
  4. Wiring connectors.
  5. Engine Cover.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
yea take out the whole bracket, grind and pound out the rivets or drill, then use the supplied bolts to hold the new coil in place. i wouldnt try drilling on top of your motor.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Vehicle: 1995 Chevy Truck Tahoe 4WD V8-350 5.7L VIN K TBI

Vehicle » Powertrain Management » Ignition System » Ignition Coil » Service and Repair
icon_note_blank.gif
Notes Service and Repair

Coil Replacement

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
Make sure the ignition switch is "OFF."

1. Wiring connectors at the side of the ignition coil.
  2. Coil wire.
  3. Nut and bolt holding the coil bracket and coil to the engine intake manifold.
  4. Coil bracket and coil.

• Drill and punch out two rivets holding the coil to the bracket.

1. Ignition coil from the bracket.
INSTALL OR CONNECT
A replacement ignition coil kit comes with two screws to attach the coil to the bracket.

1. Coil to the bracket with two screws.
  2. Coil bracket to the engine manifold with a bolt and nut. Tighten Bolt to 23 Nm (17 lbs. ft.). Nut to 33 Nm (24 lbs. ft.).
  3. Coil wire.
  4. Wiring connectors.
  5. Engine Cover.

thanks for the info

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

yea take out the whole bracket, grind and pound out the rivets or drill, then use the supplied bolts to hold the new coil in place. i wouldnt try drilling on top of your motor.

ya thats what im gonna do just gotta figure out a way to get that bolt out to remove the bracket cause u can only reach one rivet and dont wanna risk hitting anything

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ended up putting it on last night, it idles better and starts better guess mine was shot if anyone is looking for a coil I highly recommend the MSD one.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
**** that MSD coil! Mine crapped out after 14 months

How you liking those Hankooks by the way? P or LT metric?

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**** that MSD coil! Mine crapped out after 14 months

How you liking those Hankooks by the way? P or LT metric?

The Hankooks are great haven't had any problems with them, had a pretty bad winter up here never got stuck, there good in the rain, been off-road nothing crazy and they were good, and they don't make alotta noise on the highway if your looking for a A/T tire I would highly recommend them and the tires are P I think cause thats in the number on the side

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
318dukedog