Ignition Coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 Tahoe and awhile back I did a tune-up ac delco: plugs, wires, cap and rotor, pcv valve, and fuel filter, the one thing I didn't do was the ignition coil so was looking on advance auto's website (I know someone that works there so I get a discount) they have the ac delco, and they have msd too can I run the msd with the wires I have or would I have to upgrade them? and does anyone use the msd one on there Tahoe and if so what you think?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coil doesn't care what wires you have, it'll work. If your old coil is tired and has too much resistance or something then you'll notice a difference.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coil doesn't care what wires you have, it'll work. If your old coil is tired and has too much resistance or something then you'll notice a difference.

thanks for the help, I have 240k miles and change and have no clue when it was last replaced so gonna go ahead and do it

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
its like 40 bucks for the msd coil. its cheap and "supposedly" you get better gas mileage since it burns a hotter spark.. idk. lol

also about your PM, i have a 6a box with the harness i was actually going to throw up for sale last nite, but i forgot my camera at work to take pictures. Ill give you first dibs on it. 6a box, nice and clean with the wiring harness all done and wired up 125shipped.
I like it, i havent had it really on the "road" yet, but it works for me

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its like 40 bucks for the msd coil. its cheap and "supposedly" you get better gas mileage since it burns a hotter spark.. idk. lol

also about your PM, i have a 6a box with the harness i was actually going to throw up for sale last nite, but i forgot my camera at work to take pictures. Ill give you first dibs on it. 6a box, nice and clean with the wiring harness all done and wired up 125shipped.

Awww crap. This morning, I was thinking about canceling my digital 6AL order because it's on backorder, and talking to you about buying yours so I could get a move on it... haha....oh well, if 95escahoe says no, I'll bite....

BTW, 95escahoe. That's a good deal. I've spent the last two days looking at my coil and IGN module, and I've determined that the MSD Blaster SS coil that I bought is not a factory fit. Which means lots of custom wiring for me or buying the harness. Atomic is offering everything for less than 1/2 price new (CDN $ anyways). If you say no, then I'll buy it. hahaha....

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Didn't I read somewhere that the MSD coil and IGN boxes need helical wound wires? I can't remember where I saw that. IDK.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
haha thanks 99yuk

The msd coils for the 95 TBI motors basically bolt right in.. You need to take the OEM coil out of its bracket and use the bolts to put the msd back in the bracket. Supposedly a long time ago, MSD used to sell the coils already in that bracket, but like everything now a days.. Cheaper is the new Go-green..

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I've determined that the MSD Blaster SS coil that I bought is not a factory fit. Which means lots of custom wiring for me or buying the harness.

When I did the Vortec top end swap the coil mounting position interfered with the fuel lines so I mounted it on the firewall ... pretty sweet if I do say so myself.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yup, your right. I just checked to see where I was reading about helical wires. It's the 6AL boxes that need them, not the coil.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ya thats the thing that got me I get like a 10% discount and the ad delco one was 60 or so and and msd was like 44 bucks so I was like if im gonna go all msd eventually why not get it, and I sent you a PM about that box

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Awww crap. This morning, I was thinking about canceling my digital 6AL order because it's on backorder, and talking to you about buying yours so I could get a move on it... haha....oh well, if 95escahoe says no, I'll bite....

BTW, 95escahoe. That's a good deal. I've spent the last two days looking at my coil and IGN module, and I've determined that the MSD Blaster SS coil that I bought is not a factory fit. Which means lots of custom wiring for me or buying the harness. Atomic is offering everything for less than 1/2 price new (CDN $ anyways). If you say no, then I'll buy it. hahaha....

I sent a PM so it prolly is gonna be gone and ya its deff a good deal cause new that box is like 200 and the harness is 35 or so and its in mint shape so why not do the upgrade lol

hyteck9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm new. just bought a '96 Tahoe. *loves*

I'm giving it a tune up and did plugs/wires already.

I also bought an MSD Blaster coil to put on. I haven't gotten that finished yet. I began the sugery then got rained out... but honestly I'm not sure HOW to get the old one off? I had taken off the 2 flange nuts behind it and that seemed to accomplish nothing at all. LOL... didn't even wiggle a little.

I was searching the forum for some pics or how to's and this post is what I found. I won't be able to get under the hood for another week or so, but maybe you all can help me "think" my way threw it a little?

Is the coil bracket the skinny one that bends up-around the distributor and plug wires towards the firewall OR is it the more massive looking "plate" that seems to cover the back half of the engine?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoesb4tows

Latest posts