I wonder how close I can get to my Max tow limit on really steep grade????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TVETTE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have this 2015 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 with the MAX tow package and it seems I have about 8400 k max tow capacity. I have a 12' enclosed trailer that I use to tow motorcycles now and it is no problem. Now I want to get an 18' or 20' enclosed trailer so I can carry a custom car sometimes that weighs about 3200k. The trailer weighs about 3300 lbs and add in a few tools and some fuel and I figure it will be at most 7k.

On the flat ground this seems fine but 2-3 times a year I would like to go up I-5 over the Grapevine or up Hwy 50 to Lake Tahoe or even going over the Cajon Pass from the coast. These are steep grades for about 15-20 minutes and really a grind. I live in the central valley of Cali. Anybody have experience going these routes or thoughts on how much room I should have to spare to my tow max. Should mention my veh has about 112k on the odo but very well maintained!

OP
OP
TVETTE

TVETTE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, what type of grade have you ever pulled with a loaded trailer and made it but was close to a fail?

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a FYI on the trailer. I have an 18' enclosed trailer. It has a GVW rating of 7000# max. Mostly due to the twin 3500# axles. Might want to opt for the 5200# axles. My total weight is about 5500#. Easy pull with my Sierra (not a Tahoe obviously) with the 5.3 V8 and 8 spd auto.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this 2015 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 with the MAX tow package and it seems I have about 8400 k max tow capacity. I have a 12' enclosed trailer that I use to tow motorcycles now and it is no problem. Now I want to get an 18' or 20' enclosed trailer so I can carry a custom car sometimes that weighs about 3200k. The trailer weighs about 3300 lbs and add in a few tools and some fuel and I figure it will be at most 7k.

On the flat ground this seems fine but 2-3 times a year I would like to go up I-5 over the Grapevine or up Hwy 50 to Lake Tahoe or even going over the Cajon Pass from the coast. These are steep grades for about 15-20 minutes and really a grind. I live in the central valley of Cali. Anybody have experience going these routes or thoughts on how much room I should have to spare to my tow max. Should mention my veh has about 112k on the odo but very well maintained!
You can max and even exceed most limits on uphills you just will go slow as shit and swallow all the fuel in native lands I would stay in that 35 mph truck lane and shift as needed , I’m in central California aswell the grapevine and tejon pass shouldn’t be a issue if you downshift properly (yeah those numbers on your shift selection) they may sketch you out a bit but on the pass I would stop at the gas station right after on grapevine road and check tires and all then you should be fine.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve pulled 6200lbs up and over the grapevine no problem in my 2019 4x4 with the 5.3
Just take it slow and watch the transmission temp. Fill the pill on the trans if you haven’t already, it’ll help keep things cool.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve pulled 6200lbs up and over the grapevine no problem in my 2019 4x4 with the 5.3
Just take it slow and watch the transmission temp. Fill the pill on the trans if you haven’t already, it’ll help keep things cool.
Sounds like all of us need like a grapevine Chevy meet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645