As close as I can get to OEM front shocks??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, until the seller's info isn't right. A browser and search engine can't fix that.
Which is why I tend to purchase from the actual manufacturer. ( And, if the "Amazon price" is lower than they sell it, they discount their price to match). Also, I am in the better customer service of the manufacturer.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
google probably thinks I am milionaire lol I sell mostly used electronics on ebay everything from a-z from a pc card to plc equipment to healthcare equipment, high end it equipment, you name it and I am always researching the stuff I sell so I can test it and know what I am selling so I know I put google data thru a loop-t-loop haha

GMfan72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL with the premium smooth ride. I actually talked with Bilstein USA and bought 5100 shocks - front and rear - and replaced the rear springs. Bilstein converts the Premium smooth ride in the back to a Z71 with the replacement springs so you do not need the super expensive shocks that are part of the Premium Smooth Ride in the rear. I contemplated the bilstein 4600's and decided to go with the bilstein 5100s. very happy with the results.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL with the premium smooth ride. I actually talked with Bilstein USA and bought 5100 shocks - front and rear - and replaced the rear springs. Bilstein converts the Premium smooth ride in the back to a Z71 with the replacement springs so you do not need the super expensive shocks that are part of the Premium Smooth Ride in the rear. I contemplated the bilstein 4600's and decided to go with the bilstein 5100s. very happy with the results.
I'm receiving my Bilstien 4600's in a couple days..... Soon after my Hellwig rear sway bar, on the way. Today I used my electric power washer and cleaned up around the front suspension.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After doing a 'medium' power washing around my front suspension yesterday, I did a mist of Silicone spray around the area, since the "protection" of years of coated 'stuff' is gone, I wanted to protect the exposed metal, and other stuff.

But, get this..... I cleaned around the rear sway bar area..... I noticed, the factory rear sway bar is hollow !! ??? ( I saw the bar-ends that is flat, for attachment, there is a 'seam' at the end.....
I contacted Hellwig, and their sway bar is a solid 'chrome moly'.......

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After doing a 'medium' power washing around my front suspension yesterday, I did a mist of Silicone spray around the area, since the "protection" of years of coated 'stuff' is gone, I wanted to protect the exposed metal, and other stuff.

But, get this..... I cleaned around the rear sway bar area..... I noticed, the factory rear sway bar is hollow !! ??? ( I saw the bar-ends that is flat, for attachment, there is a 'seam' at the end.....
ya the factory bars are indeed hollow

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh, you'll feel the difference in weight when you try to install the Hellwig sway bars, especially the front one. I don't have a lift, so I put the truck up on a stack of 5 2x12 blocks under each tire, so that I could get under the truck and install the Hellwig sway bars in the normal ride/weight position. I had to use a floor jack to lift and hold the position of the front Hellwig sway bar steady, so that I could start the bolts into the frame.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, you'll feel the difference in weight when you try to install the Hellwig sway bars, especially the front one. I don't have a lift, so I put the truck up on a stack of 5 2x12 blocks under each tire, so that I could get under the truck and install the Hellwig sway bars in the normal ride/weight position. I had to use a floor jack to lift and hold the position of the front Hellwig sway bar steady, so that I could start the bolts into the frame.
I have had a 'krick' in my neck for some time..... I rarely feel it ( but when I do, it feels like a screwdriver stabbing ).... I only feel it when laying on my back and looking upwards, on an angle. So I avoid doing work under the truck, on the floor. My mechanic will help me, by replacing my front shocks & rear sway bar at his shop, next week.... ( I will see, if I need the front bar, after the rear is installed, as per Hellwig's suggestion. ( I enjoy doing work like that, but ..... )
( Thanks for your advice )

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
It's been said, but I don't remember.....

2005 Yukon XL 4WD with ZW7. I am planning to upgrade both sway bars. But before, I am sure my FRONT SHOCKS are worn. What is the best replacement front shocks?? ( Are OEM AC Delco shocks discontinued for a 2005 ?? Or where to find GM shocks )

If so, what do I choose? ( I don't want 'cheap' )

Searching is confusing.....
I have the same vehicle. I replaced my OEM shocks with Bilstein 4600 series. Because I had the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride, I had to order the Bilstein rear coil springs as well.
I have had them on the vehicle for 80K+ miles. I like them better than the original shocks and springs. I bought the vehicle new in January 2005.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same vehicle. I replaced my OEM shocks with Bilstein 4600 series. Because I had the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride, I had to order the Bilstein rear coil springs as well.
I have had them on the vehicle for 80K+ miles. I like them better than the original shocks and springs. I bought the vehicle new in January 2005.
Thanks for your post..... I just got the Bilstein 4600's yesterday. I load my truck twice a week with my work gear and the Nivomats still seem fine and adjust. I am looking forward to the improvement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia