I want to put in some rear speakers (or subs) in my '97 Tahoe 2-door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Hi - I know I'm late to the party on a lot of this...and I've been doing my best google searching for a week or more and really striking out (except one solution that I'm not really wanting to pursue).

I have the LS 2-Door body and it has the front door speakers and the rear 4x10 headline speakers. I am getting ready to replace the factory head unit, I bought a set of 6 3/4" for the front doors, and because they are fairly cheap I also bought a 4x10 set for the headliner.

But where in the world can I find a solution for adding a pair of speakers in the rear sides? I really am not looking for anything major, this isn't going to be a show car or impress anyone but maybe me. I'd just like maybe a pair of 6 1/2' or even 6x9s in the rear. I've tried looking for any sort of fabricated/custom side panels....I'm also ok with some type of under seat sub (could be under front passenger seat, or under rear bench)...

Is it simply too much time has passed and I'm not going to find an easy off the shelf solution? The only exception I've seen is a rear barn door panel replacement and they are very thick and I'm just not interested in that look.

Anyway, maybe someone who has already done this has some advice. Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you are looking to install a second set of speakers somewhere in the rear side panels? I guess that I would ask 'why'. With decent front door speakers and the rear headliner speakers, you should get quality sound with an external power amp, if the internal power amp of the new head unit that you are going to purchase does not have adequate power.

Regarding a sub, check Crutchfield to see what slimline subs that they offer for your truck that could fit under the rear bench seat.

Last edited:

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
Jeff I'm restoring a 2 dr work truck (rear barn doors and no rear side panels). Haven't got it running yet. I plan to find/make rear side panels and put 6.5s in both sides. For the sub I plan to adapt a rear panel from a 4 dr. Not sure how I will do it but that's the plan.

Post some interior and exterior pictures of your 2 dr.

Also be nice. We 2 dr owners are few a far between. I'm not 24+ or even 44+ but I like my 2 dr and I have to have a great sound system in my ride .

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 8” powered sub bass-tube, which fits perfectly between the spare tire and the rear seat. The best thing is that you can still fold the rear seats forward at a moments notice, and swing the sub out of the way, if you want to put some lumber in the cargo area. I upgraded my headliner rears with some aftermarket Alpines. I crank everything from Metallica to Beastie Boys. Please post pics of the project.

Attachments

• 153E1807-C102-420A-A3D4-8B95C7AF28E2.jpeg
    153E1807-C102-420A-A3D4-8B95C7AF28E2.jpeg
    640.1 KB · Views: 9

David Staines

Reaction score
I kind of have to agree with the 1st reply. The speakers in the 2drs (when replaced with modern stuff) provide a full sound to the interior of the rig. I'd suspect adding speakers somewhere on the sides in the rear might give you a, "I think it sounds better?" kind of experience.

If you're big on great sound, there's a lot more work needed than adding an additional set of side facing speakers in the back.

HoeLV

Reaction score
I was also considering this idea, although I havent looked into it much.
I still need to double check that my rear headliner 4x10s are working properly before doing anything. But, I noticed that when sitting in the rear seats (2-door as well) that there is a lack of range on the audio. Partially, this is due to the 10" sub that I have in a box sitting directly behind the rear bench, but it still seems to be lacking.

OP - did you ever come up with something? Anyone else?