I think I destroyed my Steering Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
great, crisis averted....live and learn...we've all done it or came close to doing it if we never got tips. my dad wasn't a car guy so i never got any..did the same thing when i was 17 on my toyota corolla..let loose in the driveway on start up...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol I did that once about 35 years ago....
young, dumb, broke as a joke, drained the oil, changed the filter, filled it back up, started it up and went to go drive around the block, backed out of the driveway to see a giant puddle of oil. yep same thing old seal stayed on and got twisted up with the new one, what a freaking mess

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to say for sure as I didn't witness it. I will have to crawl back under the truck, but it's a big mess under there. I needed 3 bath towels to clean up all the fluid.

I noticed the boot on the driver's side is soaked, and the tie strap blew off that boot common to the rack. The clues I have point to the rack. I'll have to do more investigating. I went ahead and ordered a new rack from RockAuto as they only had one reman AC Delco unit in stock. See photos

Glad it was an easy fix. I envy you 2WD guys. I hate all the extra junk under my truck for the 4WD system with a passion. I never use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep